Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5 wire AC electric motor help, single phase forward and reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mramos1

I have a very old 115vac 60hz single phase motor with red, blue (and a starting cap across those), a yellow and two browns wires. It's a late 70's or early 80's motor. I want to test it and use it. I am weak in knowledge of AC motors. Can anyone help me with the wiring. It is out of a garage door opener and the diagram confuses me. It is a all-o-matic ARD model. I want to bring it back to life, drive with a pic/avr, sensors and triacs/SSRs.
Just need some help on the motor wiring to run forward and run it reversed. Newer (very old) diagram attached, but same motor at this one. I know I can buy a new one, like to test this one as it is in place.. Also, I looked on the forum and googled, but nothing ticks for me.

Thanks Mike

Attachments

• fb.png
    fb.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 934
Yellow to neutral, then live (line) to either red or blue, depending on which direction you want it to run.

The two browns appear to be a second thermal trip, presumably for an external control circuit - but it also appears to have one in the yellow lead, so it should protect itself if wired as above.

The capacitor must always be connected between red & blue; that provides a phase shift to whichever winding is not directly powered, to set the rotation direction.

Use a fuse (3A?) in the live supply for safety, and ground the motor case & any other metalwork.

Wow, thanks rjenkinsgb, that was fast.

Wish I posted here this morning. Have not been on in some time. Forgot how great electro-tech-online was. Sounds simple enough for me. Yellow to neutral and R/B to hot for direction. Cap off browns. Will put in a small fuse as well for testing. The 50uF cap was 24uF on two meters, so I will get a new cap tomorrow.

Great thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back