5 wire AC electric motor help, single phase forward and reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mramos1

I have a very old 115vac 60hz single phase motor with red, blue (and a starting cap across those), a yellow and two browns wires. It's a late 70's or early 80's motor. I want to test it and use it. I am weak in knowledge of AC motors. Can anyone help me with the wiring. It is out of a garage door opener and the diagram confuses me. It is a all-o-matic ARD model. I want to bring it back to life, drive with a pic/avr, sensors and triacs/SSRs.
Just need some help on the motor wiring to run forward and run it reversed. Newer (very old) diagram attached, but same motor at this one. I know I can buy a new one, like to test this one as it is in place.. Also, I looked on the forum and googled, but nothing ticks for me.

Thanks Mike

Attachments

• fb.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,145
Yellow to neutral, then live (line) to either red or blue, depending on which direction you want it to run.

The two browns appear to be a second thermal trip, presumably for an external control circuit - but it also appears to have one in the yellow lead, so it should protect itself if wired as above.

The capacitor must always be connected between red & blue; that provides a phase shift to whichever winding is not directly powered, to set the rotation direction.

Use a fuse (3A?) in the live supply for safety, and ground the motor case & any other metalwork.

Wow, thanks rjenkinsgb, that was fast.

Wish I posted here this morning. Have not been on in some time. Forgot how great electro-tech-online was. Sounds simple enough for me. Yellow to neutral and R/B to hot for direction. Cap off browns. Will put in a small fuse as well for testing. The 50uF cap was 24uF on two meters, so I will get a new cap tomorrow.

Great thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…