Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4x4 hex keypad interfacing project

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan1

Hiya Guys,
Eh I'm out looking for an interfacing chip for a 4x4 keypad so I can free some pins on a pic. So far searching through google hasn't turned up any results. Nigel's tutorials have provided me with a stable platform but taking up 8 pins will be too much for some of my projects. This is why I'm looking for an interfacing circuit so I can cut down on the pin count. Later I'll browse through some of my electronic books to see if I have any info but thats where the net comes in handy.

Cheers Bryan :D

How many pins can you afford? A 3-to-8 decoder plus a buffer requires at least 3 address and 1 data bit (Total 4).

Why not use a PIC to interface it to your PIC. Any other solution is going to require another chip anyway. If you choose one with an internal clock you wouldn't need any other components except the keyboard and the Pic. You could communicate via RS232 (without MAX232) or I2C. You could even put an LCD on it and call it a terminal.

Mike.

Thanks for that link Intruite, it looks like a top way to go and I might have to give it a try. One thought today was to use an old 16f628 to handle the keypad processing and pass on via serial to the main pic. That way I won't have to worry too much with a huge code to debug.
Checkmate I was thinking of 4 pins but I'm not sure as to which 74 series chip to use but I'll checkout that 3-8 decoder you mentioned.

Cheers Bryan

Hi bryan1,
Well you asked for the least pins and I gave you the solution for the same ;)
I know making software for that configuration will be tough but if you are able to implement it sucessfully, then do post the software so that those who want to interface keyboards can use it :)

The chip you are looking for are 74C922 and 74C923 at price some six UK pounds plus postage.

I agree with Pommie that a PIC would be a much cheaper solution.

You must of been reading my mind Pommie cause as soon as I posted my comment I saw yours. I looked at that 74c922 chip circuit this morning but at $23.00 each it will be cheaper to go with a pic. I'm mucking around now with mplab on the 628 program and hopefully I'll have it going by the end of the weekend. Besides it looks like a perfect small project to start with. When I get everything all sorted I'll update my website with the design so everyone can use it.

As most other people have suggested, use an extra PIC as a dediciated keyboard controller, and feed the output from one pin as serial information - my tutorials have everything you need!.

Yea Thanks Nigel, your tutorials was the first place I looked so with a few tweaks and groans I'll get it setup in no-time. Also one thing you can be sure of I'll include a credit to Nigel in any asm code I use from the tutorials.

Pommie said:
After all, PIC does stand for Peripheral Interface Controller. :lol:

Actually, it's meaning is generally shrouded in mystery?, although that is what many people (including myself) consider it to mean. MicroChip themselves don't seem able to give a definitive answer?, mind you the name was there a long time before MicroChip were!.

Likewise AVR stands for "we were trying to copy a PIC and steal some of their market, so we made up a three letter name to try and be as close as possible" :lol:

Nigel Goodwin said:
Pommie said:
After all, PIC does stand for Peripheral Interface Controller. :lol:

Actually, it's meaning is generally shrouded in mystery?, although that is what many people (including myself) consider it to mean. MicroChip themselves don't seem able to give a definitive answer?, mind you the name was there a long time before MicroChip were!.

Likewise AVR stands for "we were trying to copy a PIC and steal some of their market, so we made up a three letter name to try and be as close as possible" :lol:

People always told me that it means Programmable integrated circuit
But I heard different from many other people.
I thought AVR stands for A Very Ridicules microcontroller. :lol:

Bryan , you could allways try mine & jays switch multiplexer ..
it requires only 1 output pin and 1 input pin on the pic..
the idea is to cycle through a count on the pic , till a switch is pressed ..
when a switch is pressed the pic "knows" which one is pressed because it will corrospond to which part in the cycle the switch was pressed..

Roboticinfo said:
I thought AVR stands for A Very Ridicules microcontroller.

well, although i know that electro-tech-online is highly biased towards PICs and I myself like PICs but i do want to say that AVRs are simply not ridiculous!

the AVR microcontroller is being taught in courses all around the world. and a huge number of students and hobbyists use it in their projects.

one thing i want to say here is that there is no point in saying that the AVR is bad or the PIC is good etc because none of us are the actual developers of the PIC or the AVR and niether are we the sales and marketing representative of microchip or atmel.

if someone starts off with a project and he thinks that it will be easy with a specific microcontroller then he would definitely choose it. so anything that works for you is good. be it the PIC or the AVR

It was a joke sam

need to update your since of humor.

Buy my book

RoboticInfo 10 steps to the best since of humor

I sold at least 5,000 copys

www.amazon.com
It is only $40.00

And if you buy within the next ten minutes you get a free 1k resistor
Totaly Free but act fast.

Hi Bryan,

Read through your post about making a Hexadecimal Keypad,
but i have got a bit lost in trying to see what you want it to do.

My guess is that you want to press a key or keys,
and have the unit send out a 'word' of zeroes and ones.
But thats just my guess, i've read through it but i'm not sure.

Would you want a serial or a parallel output ?
Or have i just got it completely wrong ?

Regards, John :)

Re: reply

Roboticinfo said:
Buy my book
I sold at least 5,000 copys
It is only $40.00
Hmmmm. $200,000.00!
I'm going to write a few books. :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back