Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4017-555 LED Flasher - Temp Effect Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cubicle_22

I've soldered together two identical circuits similar to the drawing attached.

**broken link removed**

I made a few modifications to the circuit to reset the 4017 counter and 555 counting on startup - these mods work fine.

I also have the output from the 4017 counter flipping a relay using a npn transistor.

Both circuits flash at the same rate - at room temperature.

Here's my problem...

If I add a little heat to one of the circuits - using a hair dryer - just enough to warm the circuit board - the leds start flashing SLOWER.

I'm using two 10 uF tantalum capacitors.

Using the heat from the soldering iron I found that polyester capacitors - when heated - sped up the circuit.

I REALLY need to figure out how to get both circuits running at the same rate under different temperatures - say 0F to 100F - for an automotive application.

Any ideas?

:confused::confused::confused:

Use capacitors with a small temperature coefficient. Only the good caps list their tempco. When a capacitor has a large tempco; they don't tell you.

Using carbon film resistors in a timer circuit makes it extremely inaccurate (temperature drift) because of the high positive temperature coefficient of the resistors.

What kind of resistors did you use?

That oscillator is a bit hinky, vary up it's design a bit, there are lots of ways to make a 555 an oscillator.

For example...

555-oscillator-sawtooth-gif.36621

This design has a problem yours does, you really need a small resistor in series with Ra, otherwise when pin 7 shorts (a normal function) you can burn the 555 out.

Attachments

• 555 Oscillator sawtooth.GIF
    555 Oscillator sawtooth.GIF
    1.9 KB · Views: 3,988
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back