Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

40106 starters

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHTek1

Hello: I am rather new to learning circuit design (newby alert here!). I have wired up a number of 555 IC circuits with some fair success. However, the seemingly simpler 40106 has me stumped. I have ten of them in stock and can't believe that they would all have defects. (All of them so far have used +6 or +9 Vcc via battery so I doubt that I have fried anything). I have wired up some sample circuits of the most simplistic design, and cannot get a response via LEDS or even on a scope. I have 40106 datasheets, but they don't have sample circuits. What I wanting to do is to get a circuit that will verify that a given 40106 unit is generating a basic output. I can check that with pin 14 to Vcc and pin 7 to GND, that the unit is getting power. Is it really that much of a deal to get a basic waveform onto a pin so that it shows up on a scope? If someone has a schematic to validate the outputs, that would be great.

One thing to double check is what flavor of 40106 you're using.

The CD40106 will run at the voltages you're using. But any of the 74xx40106 family parts will die at 9 Volts.

Hello, Chris5 and rfranzk: I found the bug: it was that the breadboard has some issues. It is new; I should have noticed when the tie-points were difficult to get through; they resisted initial wire holds and I had to push jumper wires into a lot of them quite a bit just to loosen them up. I thought at first that perhaps it just needed some "breaking in"; no other of my breadboards so far have had this issue. I switched to a proven breadboard and bingo: waveforms clear as can be! Thanks to both of you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back