Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostrafus

Yep I'm back, power has returned to my area, and I'm still alive and kicking.

#1 Okay, I know it's not necessarily electronics, but does anyone know where I can find a book on electronic jewelry, B&N doesn't have it, I can order online if that's the only place I can get a suggested book.

#2 Where is the cheapest place you know of that sells etchant in bulk (1 gallon / 2 liters or more, I'd prefer non-photo stuff, the kind I can have in a well lit room, can't remember what it is, think it's ferric chloride, since I don't trust my woman not to turn the lights on) I'm currently out of stock, and don't want to pay $3 per 10 fl oz for the stuff.

#3 Where is the cheapest place you know of that sells double / single side copper clads, I'd prefer the green board stuff, can't remember, just a good quality board that I can get some color on, I've tried the radio shack crap, and it doesn't look good for jewelry, the brown doesn't stand out well against the copper, the cheapest place I've found is Electronics Gold Mine, but I've never ordered it, so I don't know if it's good quality stuff.

#4 Is there any way I could recycle etchant, I have a 10 gallon fish tank that I'm not using because my fish died of cannibalism (my 3 fish could have kicked the S#!T out of a piranah pack, they killed 30-40 fish 10 crayfish, 20 tadpoles, 1 newt, 2 eels, 1 full grown frog, and an entire tank of sea plants in about 2 weeks) so I wanted to know if I could just like load the filter up with a bunch of carbon filters, and clean the impurities out of the etchant

To question #2, try a chemical supply house for ferric chloride rather than an electronics place. It's easy enough to get and you'll probably pay 10% of the price of the premixed stuff.

To question #4, no you can't really recycle etchant. It's a chemical reaction. If you tried filtering it you'd eventually watch it turn blue as you formed copper chloride and filtered out the rust that would be forming in the reaction.

Can't help you on the other two.

aiight, figured filtering/neutralizing was a possibility, didn't know exactly what it formed when it ate the copper, figured if it was a salt I could possibly filter it out with a carbon scrubber.

electronic jewelry

:D hi there nostrafus, sorry i cant give you any answer to your 4 queries, hoever i have my own for you if you dont mind, "whats electronic jewelry?" this is the first time i've read or heard of. a little and simple explanation will do for me. am just curios. you may post your reply here or you can email me. thanx. :)

Well the name is kinda self-explanitory, electronic jewelry is jewelry made out of electronic components, they don't necessarily have to work, but it's cooler when they do, like say you want to make a lapel pin, what you'd do is draw a circuit (it doesn't even need to have a function or components, just the copper lines if you want something basic) but then you go through the normal process of making the pcb, when it's all said an done, you attatch a lapel pin spike, get the backing for it, and you're done.

You can also make led flasher ear rings, heart shaped led key chains, etc.

The point of electronic jewelry is that you can actually see the circuit (high voltage circuits are not recommended... heh) the only problem is that you have to use hearing aide batteries, since there's a space issue with electronic jewelry.

You can also make electronic art, IE: Make a picture of something out of electronics, like I think in the latest issue of MAD magazine, they had a pic of a guys electro art of alfred's face (think that's the mad guy's name)

Also my pic is something like electronic jewelry (it's a mathematical blending of wiccan power circles, and mathematics, this is also an exact copy of the power circle found in Babylon 5: Geometry of the Shadows, Episode 2 Season 2) putting that on a pin/button/keyring would be considered electronic jewelry.

electronic jewelry

:D thanx for your reply, i have lots of very small pcb with circuits as small as 1cmx2cm i mite make it a ring. he,he,he. better yet i'll make a ring with my initials. i wont ask you how u do it, i'll just try and have fun! again thanx :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back