Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4 digit, 12v or less Rpm circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ID Miller

I posted some time ago about a tachometer/spedometer got a few good circuit's to attempt. But it's not really what i am looking for. it was a design for a speedometer that counted rpms of a tire. for a car. for a little bit about what i am looking for.

The application.
is in some R/C toys i have. mainly motors and gear boxes. I'm doing my best at learing gear ratios but i get mixed up with the drive driven fractions. I would like for something fast and simple to glance at.

i would prefer to use a 9 volt battery for a power source.

It would be a 4 digit read out that might peak around 9k rpms.

I recentally purchased a new drill press and it has an rpm indicator like i am describing but i do not want to tear apart my press .... maybe in a few years. any insite to this would be wonderful. all i need it to do is drive a 4 digit leds and tell me how many times a min it's counting.

thanks

You can use an optical or hall effect sensor, that is read by a PIC or some other microcontroller to drive the display. It will require some knowledge of microcontrollers.

If you are not knowledgable with microprocessors, you could do it with a 4 digit counter with displays. I don't know where you live, but there are kits available in Australia to do this.

Then all you need is a one minute timer (a 32kHz crystal and counter), some control logic and an interface for the optical or Hall effect detector.

Yeah i'm a total noob when it comes to microcontrollers. I figure their must be a way to do this with out having a controler? and i'm thinking about using an ir detector to detect my revs. i know how i can build a counter no problem there. interfacing it to a 7 seg led though..... is another. 4017 decade counters and 555 timers are what i have worked with the most anything else is sketchy to me. thanks for the input

ID Miller said:
Yeah i'm a total noob when it comes to microcontrollers. I figure their must be a way to do this with out having a controler? and i'm thinking about using an ir detector to detect my revs. i know how i can build a counter no problem there. interfacing it to a 7 seg led though..... is another. 4017 decade counters and 555 timers are what i have worked with the most anything else is sketchy to me. thanks for the input
The 4017 is not suitable for driving 7 seg.

An Ic such as the 4033 would be better. See https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/4033-7-seg-counter.20028/?highlight=counter

Search the forum for "counter" and you will find plenty.

Drill press

Ok so I decided to pull the rpm read out out of my drill press. first off good news it's got a 9v powersupply but the transformer thats next to this board says it's 9vac which is depressing. but it plugs right into this board. this board has a power input and a laser output and emitter/collector connector. so if i'm correct it needs to have a ac to dc converter somewhere on the chip or could the transformer be read wrong. here is a list of every thing thats on the board. every thing is labled with a silk screen except for the ic which is sanded on the top i'm assuming to remove any of the identifying marks.

7 - 150k resistors
1 - 10k resistor
1 - 470k resistor
4 - 15k resistors
5 - 1n4007 diodes
1 - 7530 transistor?
4 - 9012 transistor?
3 - 104 ceramic caps
2 - 30 ceramic caps
1 - 223 ceramic cap
1 - 12 mhz crystal (12.000 KDSY 5B)
2 - 220uf caps 16v
1 - 1uf cap 116v
1 - 20 pin chip of unknown markings (pcb has XTAL next to it)
1 - power connector
1 - 1 emitter/detector connector

could someone look at the picture and make a guess as to what it might be?
it came out of a ryobi 12 inch drill press.

Attachments

• IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 542
The IC looks like a microcontroller of some kind. It may be a RYOBI special.

So you would have to buy a comercially available PIC and do your own programming.

Alternatively, do it with counter ICs.

ID, nearly everything electronic runs from DC -- radios, TVs, computers -- and AC is rectified to one or more DC supplies for the electronics. So never let what appears to be an AC supply trip you up.

Dean

converter?

Ok so i got to thinking ... D1, D2, D3, and D4 not act like a converter? like maybe a super basic one? looking at my diagram for a rectifyier it has 4 diodes in it almost similiar to the way this hooks up am i wrong thinking about this?
please reference picture in before post
D1 -D4 is on the right hand side next to the white power input connector

D1 - D4 look like a rectifier bridge. So these, in conjunction with an electroylitic smoothing capacitor, rectify the AC to DC.

Last edited:
ID Miller said:
Ok so I decided to pull the rpm read out out of my drill press. first off good news it's got a 9v powersupply but the transformer thats next to this board says it's 9vac which is depressing. but it plugs right into this board. this board has a power input and a laser output and emitter/collector connector. so if i'm correct it needs to have a ac to dc converter somewhere on the chip or could the transformer be read wrong. here is a list of every thing thats on the board. every thing is labled with a silk screen except for the ic which is sanded on the top i'm assuming to remove any of the identifying marks.

7 - 150k resistors
1 - 10k resistor
1 - 470k resistor
4 - 15k resistors
5 - 1n4007 diodes
1 - 7530 transistor?
4 - 9012 transistor?
3 - 104 ceramic caps
2 - 30 ceramic caps
1 - 223 ceramic cap
1 - 12 mhz crystal (12.000 KDSY 5B)
2 - 220uf caps 16v
1 - 1uf cap 116v
1 - 20 pin chip of unknown markings (pcb has XTAL next to it)
1 - power connector
1 - 1 emitter/detector connector

could someone look at the picture and make a guess as to what it might be?
it came out of a ryobi 12 inch drill press.

Actually, you can learn a lot from that picture.

First off, the 4 bjts on the left drive the 4 digit display, therefore it must be multiplexed, as there is only 7 segment resistors. The xtal also is a key indication that this is a microcontroller. It may even be a PIC! The diodes on the right indicate that it accepts an AC source, with minimal filtering. There you go..

Why don't you just go down to your local automotive/electronics store and buy a non-contact tach? Why re-invent the wheel when you can just go out and buy one, check e-bay for non contact tach, you'll find laser tachs for less than 30 bucks. The first one I found cost 23 dollars plus 10 bucks shipping went from 0-100k rpm and was accurate to .05% Seems like an easy purchase choice to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back