Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4-bit up/down counter using jk flip flops

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordo

hey guys! i need help designing a 4 bit counter using jk flip flops. It has to count 0, 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15. The counter has unused states 2, 5, 8, 11 and a function bit to count either up or down. I am using 74LS76A Dual jk flip flops and any other combinational circuit to implement this sequential circuits. Any ideas you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks!!!

the counter will have does 12 states and it must have an extra input that will make it count forward and backwards

This is what i got so far. The JK flip flop can be turn into a T flip flop jumping JK together. Then I made 2 truth tables stating one for the up count and one for the down count. then I made 4 Karnaugh maps for up count and 4 for down count. The use a 2 to 1 multiplexer to switch between the up and down count. Im gonna implement it tomorrow. Any other ideas I will appreciate it. Also I have the 74LS47 BCD to seven segment decoder but I want a binary to seven segment decoder to show from 0 to 15 in the seven segment display, does anyone knows if that decoder exists???

Here is the first installment. I'll post the next one tomorrow.

I'll leave you to fill in the blanks.

The next step is to draw the Karnaugh maps for all of the J and K inputs.

The Up/Down can be included in the Karnaugh maps in order to minimise the gating.

Len

Attachments

• U-D_Counter_1.gif
    U-D_Counter_1.gif
    17 KB · Views: 9,670
Here are the Karnaugh Maps and Boolean expressions for the fourth Flip Flop

Attachments

• U-D_Counter_2.gif
    U-D_Counter_2.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 2,945
Attached is the gating for the fourth Flip Flop.

Attachments

• U-D_Counter_3.gif
    U-D_Counter_3.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 3,344
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back