Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4-bit Binary Count Display on 2 dual displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

sala

Hi,
I am running a 4-bit binary count using a 555 timer, could someone please tell me how to use a decoder for each and two dual 7 segment displays to display the counts.
I have thought about it for a while, but havent found a way to do so.
If you have a schematic to share, that would be helpful.
Thanks!

Hi,
I am running a 4-bit binary count using a 555 timer, could someone please tell me how to use a decoder for each and two dual 7 segment displays to display the counts.
I have thought about it for a while, but havent found a way to do so.
If you have a schematic to share, that would be helpful.
Thanks!

hi sala,
The problem is the 'binary counters' ie: 0000b to 1111b ['0' to 'F']
The standard 74LS247 decoders are BCD to 7segment LED decoders, 0000b thru 1001b [ '0' to '9']

You either need quite a number of logic gates or a programmed PIC.

If you used 'decade counters' you could use 74LS247 decoders

Last edited:
If you want a decimal display then you would need to convert binary to BCD, which is a complex task. Use a decade (BCD) counter instead as ericgibbs suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back