Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3V0's PIC tutorials (C18, 18F & Junebug)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally !! a tutorial that gives definitions of some of the cryptic terminology that I'm having trouble with..Keep it up...Please !!

:DWhen I formed the social group to help me I thought I was ready to proceed with banging out the full series. Much to my dismay Hugoender convinced me I was not.

I am still working on the look and feel. Getting that right is important to me.

Thanks to Bill for introducing me to sketchup.

Last edited:
Ditto on the accolades for SketchUp. I had tried numerous times to draw a diagram to explain the pin functions of a certain connector on a circuit board that I sell. My past attempts were never really clear, seldom neat, and rarely attractive.

I tried SketchUp, made a model of the connector, then added text and arrows pointing to the pins in the connector with The Gimp and I am pleased with the results.

**broken link removed**
if you want to see the end result. The diagram I am speaking of is down on page 4.

Brian

I know this is an old thread. But I'm trying to learn C18 and these tutorials sound like just what I need. I'm somewhat familiar with C++ though not a pro, and I'm proficient in VB, Fortran and a few others.

Is 3V0's tutorial sight still availible? I haven't been able to get it to open from his signature link. Is it moved or down or what?

BTW, if there are any other good C18 tutorials, besides the microchip ones which assume you already know quite a lot, please let me know about them.

has it been down long? It seems to have been a while.

Still looking for general tutorials to C18. Something that actually explains the language and syntax would be good. The microchip documents cover getting it to work and compiler commands, but I havent found a general guide to writing programs with the language.

I haven't programmed the C18 yet. depending on your comfort level with computers / software, it should be that hard.

I started with picc-lite/ht-tide on 12f parts, relied almost exclusively on datasheets and sample programs. But I did c programming way back and am comfortable with hardware / software in general.

but I cannot program in assembly so I went with C instead. it couldn't have been simpler once you understood configuration bits / fuses, and how to initialize the mcu to do things your way. after that, programming a mcu is not much different from programming a pc, or a vax.

Yeah, ive gotten started in it, I can find example code, its just slow going without a guide that explains what stuff does. I guess I could just ask on these about each command that confuses me. But i prefer to read what I can on a subject before I ask lots of questions.

I would suggest that you start with a datasheet and an IDE. if you haven't done assembly before, go with either basic or c first.

an IDE has a much steep learning curve but also much easier to work around once you have invested in the basics.

I don't know picc-lite supports your device but the combo of picc-lite/tide has served me well.

Hey thanks 3V0! I'll make good use of it

I would suggest that you start with a datasheet and an IDE. if you haven't done assembly before, go with either basic or c first.

yeah I have those documents and I have used C and Basic to program in windows and linux. I just wanted a guide to use C18 specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back