Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3V IR transmitter problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
brodin said:
I have another question about LED's. If there is TOO high current through the led, will it work worse, than if i just have high current?
I mean would 3A work worse than 1.5A (just examples).
Will the IR output increase with the current all the time, or do they have a top where it gets worse?

AFAIK it will simply kill the LED if you drive it too hard - as it's only a low duty cycle you can pulse the LED considerably higher than it's specifications, but usually about 1A is used - probably as a good compromise between range and power consumption?.

If you don't mind killing an LED or two, feel free to experiment :lol:

Let us know what happens!.

I am confused!

I bought a BC639 and a BD139 today. I have only tested the BD now but that one has the same voltage drop that the darlington had. And the person i bought them from said that there allways is a voltagedrop about 0.7V when using a BC transistor. So how do you mean that i could get just a 0.2 V drop?

I am using the first scematic that I posted, but with just one led.

Like this;
+3V--------[IR_LED]--------[0.6 ohm]--------[BD139]--------GND

brodin said:
I am confused!

I bought a BC639 and a BD139 today. I have only tested the BD now but that one has the same voltage drop that the darlington had. And the person i bought them from said that there allways is a voltagedrop about 0.7V when using a BC transistor. So how do you mean that i could get just a 0.2 V drop?

Yes, a transistor turned fully on in that configuration will have a low voltage drop across it. Using the BD139 probably isn't a good idea, it won't have very high gain so probably won't turn fully on with the existing resistor - use a higher gain transistor, that's why I used a small BC337 rather than a power transistor - it has much higher gain than a power transistor.

I don't know what i am doing wrong. I tested with a BC547 (500mA) now. But that one drop 1.2 V!
Only 0.2V over the 1.2 ohm resistance! What am i doing wrong.

IR-Circuit
3V----[IR-LED]----[1.2ohm]----[BC547]----GND

The base is driven by a PIC via a 158ohm.

BC547 is too wimpy for 1 - 1.5 amps. A bipolar transistor that can saturate at 1.5 amps of collector current with 25ma of base current is going to be difficult to find.
Do as Sebi suggested - use a power MOSFET with Rds(on) less than 0.1 ohm at 3 volts Vgs, such as Fairchild FDN327N. This is a surface mount part, which might be a problem for you.
Keep in mind that the MOSFET must be specified at Vgs=3.0v or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back