Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3D Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobW

I'm looking a getting one of the UV curing resin type of 3D printers. The one that I'm favouring at the moment is the Elegoo Mars or Mars Pro.
(Amazon has the Mars in stock, but not the Mars Pro, and I haven't found any seller that is stocking the Mars Pro right now.) I see a few other brands as well, but according to various reviews, the Mars/Mars Pro has the best resolution. Does anyone have any experience with these?

We've got an Anycubic Photon at work, and the prints are incredible.

However, you do tend to get a fair number of failures, either falling off, or deformed printing.

It's a fairly messy procedure though, but we use it to make a number of small items for use in manufacture of products we sell.

I'm thinking of getting the Creality ender 3 pro.. I have been looking at the anycubic, but my son is heavily into warhammer, so I know why HE wants a resin printer... I just need a PLA parts ( and not too precise either )... The reason I'm looking to the ender 3 pro, is the huge support.. Most of the "outa the box" issues have been addressed and parts can be printed by the ender 3...

Resin printers are amazing, but support for the anycubic is quite good... I always look at the support network... Just in case..

I saw some 'display' prints which were done on an Ender 3 Pro, at a store near me. They were at the counter, which was at the opposite end of where the printers were, and the print quality was very good.

I'm thinking of getting the Creality ender 3 pro.. I have been looking at the anycubic, but my son is heavily into warhammer, so I know why HE wants a resin printer... I just need a PLA parts ( and not too precise either )... The reason I'm looking to the ender 3 pro, is the huge support.. Most of the "outa the box" issues have been addressed and parts can be printed by the ender 3...

Resin printers are amazing, but support for the anycubic is quite good... I always look at the support network... Just in case..

I can confirm the print quality is amazing on the Anycubic, but resin printers are very fiddly :D

Another problem is they are much more limited as regards object size, and much fussier about support and easily mess up.

So we tend to print our PCB supports (to fit inside a plastic pipe), including the top with a headphone socket through it, on the resin printer, which gives an excellent finish and is more dimensionally accurate. We then print the main box in PLA, BUT we print the top of the box on the resin printer as it's so much better quality.

So really Ian you need two printers :D

But for a first one, get a PLA printer - you can do more with it.

Oh - we've also resin printed a few parts for a friend (and part time employee) who makes hats - she was making Egyptian hats and masks for a Museum Exhibition (for children to wear) and we resin printed some parts for her (an Ankh and a snake head). We've also done her a few brooches etc.

Hi! Just googled it and looks like you can get it here https://www.myminifactory.com/product/elegoo-mars-pro for $300
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I'd already decided to go ahead with the Mars rather than the Mars Pro, and bought it from Amazon. Should be here in a few weeks.

As Nigel mentioned, the resin printers are restricted to much smaller object sizes. That won't be a problem in my case. What I need is the high resolution. Plus I figured that there are plenty of filament printers around now, so that if I need a larger object printed, I could probably find someone to print it for me. I imagine I'll get my own filament printer at some point.

Nigel, you mention that the resin printer is more dimensionally accurate. What about shrinkage? When I was looking at the different types of resin, I noticed that the various resin specs would list shrinkages of around 7%. I didn't understand exactly what they meant, because I couldn't imagine the object shrinking that much without also becoming very distorted.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I'd already decided to go ahead with the Mars rather than the Mars Pro, and bought it from Amazon. Should be here in a few weeks.

As Nigel mentioned, the resin printers are restricted to much smaller object sizes. That won't be a problem in my case. What I need is the high resolution. Plus I figured that there are plenty of filament printers around now, so that if I need a larger object printed, I could probably find someone to print it for me. I imagine I'll get my own filament printer at some point.

Nigel, you mention that the resin printer is more dimensionally accurate. What about shrinkage? When I was looking at the different types of resin, I noticed that the various resin specs would list shrinkages of around 7%. I didn't understand exactly what they meant, because I couldn't imagine the object shrinking that much without also becoming very distorted.

I've never really noticed any, but I can't say I've looked for it - the parts we print fit OK, and that's all we're bothered about. If you're wanting high resolution, then the resin printer is the way to go.

We did try having some of our boxes professionally 3D printed, which was pretty expensive - but if they turned out a lot better it would be worth it, and of course less work for us :D However, while they were better, they weren't a lot better, and not worth the extra expense.

There was a company in the unit(s) next door but one (and two) to us, and having seen our 3D filament printer went out and bought one. They designed a particular casing for a product, and having confirmed that the 3D printed version worked fine they then sent the file off to China and had it injection moulded. He was very impressed with the result, and gave us the details for the company - but so far we've not had any project requiring that kind of quantity, although I think it was only 100 or so upwards?. However, within six months the neighbouring company had folded, so perhaps it didn't go too well?.

If my 3D printing goes well, I'd eventually like to be making patterns for doing some investment casting to make metal parts. I'll need to start looking for a kiln. It never ends.

If my 3D printing goes well, I'd eventually like to be making patterns for doing some investment casting to make metal parts. I'll need to start looking for a kiln. It never ends.

I've seen some posts about 3D metal printing? - but presumably it's not cheap?.

As for making moulds - I don't know if you watched the TV competition series about making model railways?, it's actually more interesting than it sounds! :D Anyway, if you did, one of the judges was a young woman - and I thought 'she looks very familiar' - so I looked her up, and she looked familiar because we'd been watching her reviews on Anycubic printers (both Filament and Resin) on Youtube.

One of the projects she did was making a specific and unique type of railway point, and what she did was print one out, then make a silicon rubber mould of it. Then she simply made as many copies in the mould as she wanted - it's a lot faster and cheaper to do it that way.

A quick google found her!

Check out myfordboy on youtube, he has videos on all of the above.

I've already seen many of myfordboy's videos. Amazing stuff.

Perhaps you should try reading the quote? - which refers to casting a metal copy of a 3d printed item, so I mentioned a direct metal print.
I did read it, and it made me wonder why you brought up the price of metal 3D printing. So I asked. And you answered that I should repeat, so I did read it again. And it made me wonder why you brought up the price of...

My Elegoo Mars arrived today, two weeks ahead of schedule. I'd already designed my first part, and would be ready to give it a try, except for one thing. There is no IPA to be had anywhere (due to you know what). And without that, there's no way to clean the resin out of the machine or off of the part. I do have plenty of methanol, and wouldn't worry about any damage it might do to my first prototype, but I don't want to risk using it to clean up the printer. So, for now, all I can do is stare wistfully at it.

What resin are you using? PLA. ABS, other?

If you promise to donate $20 to your local food bank, I'll tell you about a product that contains 98% isopropanol and is readily available. Note this is 98% isopropanol, not the 70% or 90% at the drug store so it is more flammable. Feel free to dilute it down if you have a measuring cup and some distilled water.

We're on the honor system for the $20, click below...
Here is the safety datasheet so you know I'm honest...

and here is the link to show it is available at Amazon,com (but likely at your grocery store or auto parts store or gas station)

Coincidentally, the methanol that I have is also sold as fuel line antifreeze. I'd forgotten that they've migrated to IPA, because methanol causes problems with fuel injectors. I'll have to check out the auto supply store as soon as they're open for business again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back