32kHz Oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 32kHz oscillator in a black SMD plastic package, part number C2KC56BS. Wasn't able to find it by searching Google, Digikey, Mouser.

All the oscillators I've used come in metal packages - what kind come in black plastic package, like the other chips on the board, except taller. It has 4 pins and is ~3mm by 8.4mm.

Anyone know what this part is? Thanks!

It sounds like a 32KH oscillator 'module', apply +5V/0 and get a 32KHz square wave out.. Does it have a part number.?

I've got 3 that look very similar and have part numbers:

C2KC56BS
C2KC57ES
32C69

What would be the advantage of such a module, since a standard oscillator requires no power?

I've got 3 that look very similar and have part numbers:

C2KC56BS
C2KC57ES
32C69

What would be the advantage of such a module, since a standard oscillator requires no power?

hi,
A 32768Hz xtal is often used to clock hardware counter ic's, a binary division gives 1second.

It could also be used to clock one of the PIC's internal counters to give a precise 1 second.

Look here: Get the datasheet, look at the picture.
https://uk.farnell.com/citizen-america/cm250s32-000kazf-ut/crystal-smd-32khz-12-5pf/dp/1457101

EDIT: the datasheet indicates that its just a crystal!!!!

Last edited:
Maybe I should start using those module ones, I always have a devil of a time trying to get ocilators to work right, the kind with 3 pins that look kind of like a dipped capacitor.

Maybe I should start using those module ones, I always have a devil of a time trying to get ocilators to work right, the kind with 3 pins that look kind of like a dipped capacitor.

They aren't oscillators, they are ceramic resonators - connect them to the oscillator circuit in a PIC, select XT mode - and they work perfectly, there's nothing you can really do wrong with them.

there's nothing you can really do wrong with them.

you could sprinkle them on a cupcake

But anyway, I guess I mostly had problems with those cause I was new with PICs and was most likely doing several things wrong at once, among other things I switched to useing an internal ocilator before I got my first PIC working, and I've never revisted that issue since.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…