Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 Wire input to a 4 wire output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muadi

Hi all. I have a project going, and I need some assistance. Wiring is not my strong suit.
I'm doing a major car project. Standard hotrod stuff. The circuitry for my mirror control is a 3 wire system. The mirrors I'm installing use 4 wires. I have the logic of all the wires, but I'm getting stuck on how to get the next step done. Here is what I know:
My mirror switch has 3 wires, which has the following function:
..................Yellow............Brown........Blue
Left................-....................+
Right..............+....................-
Up.......................................+...............-
Down...................................-...............+

As you can see, when moving left/right, the yellow wire becomes energized and blue is neutral. When moving up/down, yellow becomes neutral and blue becomes energized.

For my mirrors, I have 4 wires that need to see inputs.
....................Light-green.............Light-green/Blue.................Light-green/Yellow.................Black
Left.....................-...................................+....................................-...............................-
Right..................+...................................-.....................................-...............................-
Up......................-...................................+....................................+...............................-
Down.................+...................................-.....................................+...............................-

I have been able to get the Left/Right to work fine. That has been easy. The hard part is Up/Down. Somehow, I need to wire it up so that when Blue is activated, I need to send a + to Light-green/Yellow... (if Blue is +, then send +, if Blue is -, then send +)

I need some sort of logic circuit set up that will send out a + when my input wire is + or -, but no signal when the wire is neutral.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.... John

Do you have an Ohmmeter?

If so, I need you to make a little test. Take a mirror (not on the car). Measure Resistance between the following 6 pairs of wires:

Grn to Grn/Blu
Grn to Grn/Yel
Grn to Blk

Grn/Blu to Grn/Yel
Grn/Blu to Blk

Grn/Yel to Blk

Gn to Gn/Bu = 40 ohm
Gn to Gn/Ye = no reading (meter did not move)
Gn to Bk = no reading

Gn/Bu to Gn/Ye = no reading
Gn/Bu to Bk = no reading

Gn/Ye to Bk = 64 ohm

John,

Some questions about the mirror control unit.

You said three wires, but there are really five counting power and ground, right?

What color are the power and ground so I can include them in a diagram?

In the table you put + and -. I'm assuming that + means that the wire is connected to +12V when the mirror control unit is powered, and the joystick is moved off center.

I further assume that - means that wire is connected to ground (battery minus) when the joystick is moved off center.

Gn to Gn/Bu = 40 ohm
Gn to Gn/Ye = no reading (meter did not move)
Gn to Bk = no reading

Gn/Bu to Gn/Ye = no reading
Gn/Bu to Bk = no reading

Gn/Ye to Bk = 64 ohm

This says that there are two reversible DC motors, with no cross connections. Here is my idea of how the mirror is wired internally:

lrud.gif

I would like you to check this by connecting the mirror wires to a 12V battery. When running either motor, leave the wires to the other motor disconnected.

If the mirror moves Left-Right and Up-Down as expected, then the wiring to the switches will much easier than implied by your initial posting.

Hello Muadi, saw your challenged with your mirror project. You said your switch have 3 wire, blue, yellow & brown. from my experience, a dc motor has 2 inputs & for a mirror to move left/right & up/down, you will need 2 motors. there is no way yellow + ,blue - will move a mirror left/right then yellow - and blue+ will now move it up/down. the third wire from your switch brown must have a polarity, check it

Hi Muadi,
This is how I think you need to connect the mirror. First confirm they are wired as in the diagram that MikeMl posted. (Mike I think you left and right the wrong way round in your diagram.)
Light green from mirror to yellow on the switch.
Light green/blue from mirror to brown on switch.
Light green/yellow from mirror to brown on switch. (Note there are two wires connected to the brown one on the switch.)
Black from mirror to blue on the switch.
Muadi, I think your diagram of the mirror is wrong showing that all 4 wires need to be connected to get any movement.
Les.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back