Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3.5" USB HDD enclosure ran off of ni-cd rechargable bat

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmezie

I have a usb 3.5" hdd enclosure , currently it uses an external 40watt ac adaptor to power the hard drive. Is there anyway i could replace this wihth a rechargable battery?

More Info

Give us a clue ... what voltage is required ?
If I guess at 12v then 40W is about 3.5 Amps (P = V*I)
If I guess at 18v this comes down to 2.25 Amps.
This will only be required when the HDD is running so a battery pack could cope but its life will be short unless you have power-saving options on your computer to stop the HDD when not required.

Maybe a sealed rechargeable, Yuasa make a 2.8Ah 12v battery, #if the voltage is correct# it would give just under an hour of operation per charge. A 7Ah one would give 2 hours.

Disposables such as a pair of PP9's in series would give 18v and last for a couple of hours (at a cost of 6 pounds (UK) a time - that's £3 per hour !)

Does the size and weight matter?
A 30Ah car battery would last for 10 hours?

The power supply that comes with the usb hdd enclsorue has an
AC input: 100 - 240V DC output: +5V/+12V

I only want to be able to use the drive for like 30 minutes at a time. In between use i wanted to recharge the batteries using a charging station or something.

HDD Power

I guess the 5v line will be around half the total power (20W = 4A).
It now gets messy ...
A 12v battery and a 5v regulator capable of 4A.

If my guess is right - the regulator (simple series type) will waste 4A*7v = 28W as heat in addition to the HDD power requirements.
40W just went up to 68W !

Can you tell us the currents for each power line ? maybe only a few mA are required for the 5v line ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back