3.3v MAX232?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

I am looking at a system where I need to lower Vdd from 5v to 3.3v. However the ST232 (same as a MAX232), but that's rated only for 5v. Even if the logic works the same since it's a capacitive charge pump obviously any change in Vdd will be reflected in its output level which could make its output levels unreadable by another receiver.

I don't want to use 2 regs. Is there a RS232 transceiver that runs on 3.3v? It would preferrably need to be a very low current device like the ST232.

This might not be exactly what you're lookin' for but the open-drain outputs and pull-ups work great on anything (PC or laptop) I've connected to at data rates up to 115-kbaud... I've used VDD=5v and VDD=3.3v on the PIC side and the pull-up on the RS232 side can often be 5v on some laptops all the way up to 13v on some desktops...

Regards, Mike

Attachments

• rs232_parasitic_power__2_206.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,768
  • rs232_2n7000_schematic_2.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 2,517
The MAX3221 works just fine at the lower Vcc. It has one TX and one Rx. We pay $1.37 It probably has a brother with two Tx and Two Rx.

Papabravo said:
The MAX3221 works just fine at the lower Vcc. It has one TX and one Rx. We pay $1.37 It probably has a brother with two Tx and Two Rx.
Where do you get that from? The ST3232 above has 2 TX and RX lines, but I've never actually needed 2, so it seems like a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…