Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

240V-in, 5.0V-out; Adaptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroniks

Hi everyone!
I recently got an iPod nano as a goft but i found out that the power supply (from the wall) does not come with it. The price of an original one is about 30$. So i thought well, I may be able to make one myself!
So, here is my question; has anyone tried this yet? If so, how do I build one?
I guess the simplest would be a couple of voltage dividers!~ but is that safe?

Thanx for your advice.

no offense, but if you think 'a couple of voltage dividers' will provide a regulated 5v DC output from 240v AC then you really ought to spend the $30 for the real charger... if you build something like that, your ipod is going to be toast.

if you want to learn more about getting a DC supply from an AC input, then you should do some google searching and find some existing circuits and learn how they work... starting with the difference between AC and DC, and why a voltage divider does not work as a regulated power output... and then perhaps looking into transformers, rectifiers, and voltage regulators.

And then once you've learned more about it, you can think about building something. Just don't plug it into anything expensive until you're sure it works. and don't fry yourself.

Check ebay...........

electroniks said:
Hi everyone!
I recently got an iPod nano as a goft but i found out that the power supply (from the wall) does not come with it. The price of an original one is about 30$. So i thought well, I may be able to make one myself!
So, here is my question; has anyone tried this yet? If so, how do I build one?
I guess the simplest would be a couple of voltage dividers!~ but is that safe?

Thanx for your advice.

Is this what you are looking for?
**broken link removed**
--
Rolf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back