Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

24 VDC to 0-10 VDC converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

russgmke

Hello, has anyone seen a 24 Vdc input to a variable 0-10 Vdc output converter? Maybe something that could be DIN rail mounted if it exists.

0 - 10 V how much current ?

How do you want control, pot or button entry or rotary encoder ?

Current limit set ?

Regards, Dana.

It is unlikely you will find anything that goes down to zero. Many supplies cannot go below 2V.

Regards, Dana.

One must not specify V without a purpose or watts or amps and perhaps ripple and tolerance

I remember seeing a clever circuit in which the voltage divider for an LM317 was referenced to -1.25 volts, allowing the output to go all the way to zero. The design also had a negative regulator that used the same trick.

There are not a lot of uses for power supplies that can do down to zero, are there?

There are not a lot of uses for power supplies that can do down to zero, are there?
I agree that it sounds like a bit of an oxymoron, but there are times when it is useful to be able to turn the voltage up from zero or down to zero.
Usually when trying to assess the start-up or shut-down behaviour of some circuit or device.

In fact, in the last year or so I did build a small PSU for injecting 0 to 10v DC test signals into a circuit.

JimB

PS, and here it is...
Schematic.png

Wow, two years ago.
Doesn't time fly when you are enjoying yourself?

And it works just how Dick Cappels described.

The ZPD's will get hot drawing the same load as output. 3x Si diodes could be better if they were fwd biased unlike reverse as shown.?

My Simulation https://tinyurl.com/2fm3bsbk > 700 mA may overload my model. The negative bias diode ripple is thus added to the output. Crude, but works. (noisy ripple) It might be better to make a bipolar supply then use a regulated Adj current to maintain the 1.25V across ADJ to OUT

Last edited:
Enhance your calm Tony Stewart.

Look at the picture, you will see that there are three 1N4148 diodes where the two "zeners" were drawn on my original scribble.

700mA is way more than my "DC Signal Source" is intended to supply, a milli-amp is more than enough.
And it worked well for the application I required at the time.

JimB

Small Voltage Source.JPG

now you tell us Ha :) I guess for that all you need is a 10V regulator and a pot on the output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back