Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

230v to 110v Circuit Required Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

free-energy64

Hello, I'm after a simple and compact diagram to convert 230VAC to 110VAC able to handle 3 amps max.
I need it as small as physically possible so it can fit into a battery charger.
I have purchased a Milwaukee 110 volt charger unit and want to run it from 230VAC mains.
I have a step down transformer but its too heavy and bulky to carry around with me, so I would love to be able to find an electronic way of reducing the voltage.

Any help greatly appreciated.
I'm not an electronic buff, so please keep it simple.

I'm in Adelaide South Australia, so parts relevant to this country would be ideal.

Many Thanks
Paul

It's a step down transformer, end of story!.

By using an auto-transformer it will be as cheap, small, and light as possible, and they are freely available for this exact purpose - often with in-built American 2 pin sockets!.

There's really no other sensible way - but what is it for charging?, 330W is a hell of a big charger! - are you sure of the requirements?.

230-110vac

Well, its for a lithium ion battery charger which states it draws a maximum of 3 amps.

What about a voltage divider circuit?

Hi Paul,

Isn't there a possibility to connect your charger to one phase
and ground, you'll get 130 volts if you can.
Otherwise you could let your wife carry the transformer. :D

on1aag.

on1aag said:
Hi Paul,

Isn't there a possibility to connect your charger to one phase
and ground, you'll get 130 volts if you can.
Otherwise you could let your wife carry the transformer. :D

Don't know where YOU are, as you don't have your location filled in - but this wouldn't work in Europe, or anywhere with European/British mains systems.

BIG bang, don't attempt it!.

free-energy64 said:
Well, its for a lithium ion battery charger which states it draws a maximum of 3 amps.

Do you have a meter with AC current ranges so you can measure it?, and how large is the battery - taking 330W would probably be larger than a car battery?.

What about a voltage divider circuit?

No, like I said, an auto-transformer is the cheapest, lightest and most sensible method. A voltage divider 'would' be possible, but would cost more, be MUCH larger, and run absolutely red hot - and probably be a fire hazard.

Can you not source the corrct charger for your country?.

on1aag,
That's assuming he live in the US.

We don't have a split phase system, here in Europe we use a three phase system with a star (Y in US English) connection. This means you get 0 to 230V not 115V-0-115V so your suggestion won't work.

An autotransformer is the only sensible way to go, they're also more light and efficient than standard transformers.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Don't know where YOU are, as you don't have your location filled in - but this wouldn't work in Europe, or anywhere with European/British mains systems.

BIG bang, don't attempt it!.

If you've got a 3 x 230 volt system you can always connect a load
between one of the phases and the neutral conductor, you"ll get 130 volts.
The same applies to a 3 x 380 volt system, the 230 volt relays always operate between one of the phases and the neutral conductor.
They never use a transformer when the neutral conductor is available.
But I don't know what the electrical system looks like down under,
it's probably upside down too.

As for my location, you can find it in the international callbook, you
should have known that Nigel.

on1aag.

on1aag said:
between one of the phases and the neutral conductor, you"ll get 130 volts......

That's not allways true.

There is allways one grounded wire at the distribution transformer, but in 3 x 220 V systems it may not be the star's centre. In fact, if the transformer's secondary is wired in a Delta (or "D" or triangle) configuration there is no star centre at all.:eek:

In that case one of the three wires is grounded, and you may have one "neutral" and one "live" (220 V between them) or two "lives" (also with 220 V between them).

We still have some old 3 x 220 V systems here, but allmost all the electrical system is 3 x 380 / 220 V - That is 380 V three phase, with neutral, 220 V between any phase and the neutral.

And (for you in the USA) its 50 Hz here :D :D

Last edited:
on1aag said:
The same applies to a 3 x 380 volt system, the 230 volt relays always operate between one of the phases and the neutral conductor.

Like I said before, you are completely 100% WRONG - the European system is three phase 230V with each phase 120 degrees apart, this means there's 230V between each live and neutral, and 440V beween lives. There's no way you can get 130V off of it (without a transformer).

As for my location, you can find it in the international callbook, you
should have known that Nigel.

As a moderator I could have checked your IP address as well - but why should I?, it makes sense to have your location filled in - in this case you posted a dangerous suggestion, giving the impression it would work. If your location was filled in it would give the OP some idea of the validity of your post.

on1aag said:

In Europe, we get 230V between a phase and neutral. Between two phases we get 415V.

I think you're thinking that we get 230V on two phase ? We don't.

Edit: Nigel beat me to it.

Why are we supposed to know where on1aag is posting from? And if it somehow gives your location, why do you object to having it in your profile?

I see your name in a lot of Google hits, but no location.

mneary said:
Why are we supposed to know where on1aag is posting from? And if it somehow gives your location, why do you object to having it in your profile?

Even worse he lives in a location where he gets three phase 230V mains, just as the OP does - so HE doesn't even get 130V between live and neutral, he gets 230V as the OP does. Makes his post even worse!.

A quick google soon finds callsign allocations at https://www.arrl.org/awards/dxcc/itucalls.html

So he's from Hercule Poirot country!.

ecerfoglio said:
There is allways one grounded wire at the distribution transformer, but in 3 x 220 V systems it may not be the star's centre. In fact, if the transformer's secondary is wired in a Delta (or "D" or triangle) configuration there is no star centre at all.:eek:
That's not always true, some systems aren't earthed at all.

Sometimes, the neutral point is made by a zigag transformer rather than at the the main transformer; this done when a neutral connection is required with the secondary of the transformer is connected in delta.

yngndrw said:
I think you're thinking that we get 230V on two phase ? We don't.
Two phase isn't a 180 degrees (that's split phase), two phase is 90 degrees. Lol I've just had this argument with someone at work and he refused to accept it, :D

Interesting discussion going on here. Most of Europe is standardised to 230 / 400 Volts.
I know of some older cities in The Netherlands where still some 127 / 220 Volts ( 120 ° phase shift) networks was in place ( Dordrecht, Leiden, Amsterdam ) about 20 years ago, I have worked on them because i done a rewire by a family member.
The 127 Volts is rarely used but 130 Volts lightbulbs there seem to last forever.
The power points were ran at 220 V Ø to Ø, and the lighting at 127 V between phase and neutral.

These systems were gradually phased out to 220 / 380 and now 230 / 400 Volts at 50 Hz.

O.T. In remote parts of Italy there are 150 - 160 / 275 Volts networks in place. Occasionally there are old lightbulbs and kWh meters for sale on Ebay Italy.
Then I own one of the Italian distrubution networks books where these systems are described in detail.

But for above thread. Get a 240 / 110 Volts transformer (safest). or buy a charger with the required low voltage output to charge your batteries ( Jaycars)

He sais he lives in Adelaide where the mains voltage is at least 240 V and may even be 250 V.

edited for typo's

Hero999 said:
Two phase isn't a 180 degrees (that's split phase), two phase is 90 degrees. Lol I've just had this argument with someone at work and he refused to accept it, :D
Umm you get 415V from two phase over here.

And I thought it was 120 degrees for two phase ?

Wait a minute.
330W to charge a little battery? No way, man!
The 3A is probably the OUTPUT of the lttle 110V charger, not its input.

The voltage output of the charger times 3A and then double it would be the power required from a small auto-transformer for it.

Hero999 said:

As 360 degree rotation is a single phase (a sinusoid), if you wanted a second balanced phase than it would be 180 degrees apart from the first - if it was only 90 degrees apart it would be a very unbalanced system.

It's understandable how to came to that assumption but it's incorrect.

A split phase system
**broken link removed**
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_phase

A two phase system
There's no fancy picture here but I'll offer two simple quotes:
"Two-phase electrical power was an early 20th century polyphase alternating current electric power distribution system. Two circuits, or "phases", were used, with voltages 90 electrical degrees apart in time."
---snip----
"Three-wire, 120/240 volt single phase power used in the USA and Canada is sometimes incorrectly called "two-phase". The proper term is split phase or 3-wire single-phase."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_phase

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back