Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

220V LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngIntoHW

I'm looking for 220V LEDs that will allow me to contol their blinking's rate using digital I/O pins.

Are there such LEDs?

I need to implement it quickly, therefore I'm looking for such "all-in-one" LEDs.

Thanks a lot.

LEDs are simple devices. They have 2 or 3 wires you can connect to. You might be able to control a LED with an I/O pin if it can supply enough current, but I/O pins generally don't provide 220 volts, and, as far as I konw, there is no such thing as a 220 volt LED. Several parts are required to make an interface between 220 volts and an LED.

Why would you want 220V LEDs if you already have logic level digital IO? Just use a transistor and a resistor to drive the LED and drive the transistor from the digital I/O

Hey.

I know of 220V LEDs, which are mains-operated.
However, I have no experience with such LEDs which allow you to control their blinking rate through a digital I/O pin.

Are you sure there aren't any?

You know of 220V LEDs that are mains operated, so tell us about them. Then we can work on blinking them.

There is no such thing as a 220V LED though. All LEDs work at voltages WELL bellow that, if you have an LED that works on 220V it has a resistor inline with it which drops the rest of the voltage to a safe level so that it can run off the 220V, or some other kind of current limiter.

You didn't answer my question, you have digital I/O control already, why are you trying to power the LED via 220v? Just power it from the digital I/O power supply, which in general should be high enough. Then you just turn the Dgitial I/O line on when you want the LED to be on, so the blinking is all done is software and can be controlled anyway you want.

Buy an inexpensive LED night light and disect it.

You will find three to five components. It uses a capacitor ballast to create a current source for LED.

Hi guys.

Yes I was referring to LEDs that come with built-in resistors.

The reason I want to use such LEDs is that I want them to illuminate intensively.
An UC can supply low amount of current which isnt sufficiate for achieving this goal.

ENG, that's why you use current bypass transistors... Either way you in general would NEVER run an LED off 220v's intentionally if you have a lower voltage available, you'd be wasting 99% of the power used by them as heat with a straight resistor, although the capacitive ballast works pretty good.

Last edited:
Hey.
The thing is that I need a quick and dirty solution.
Something that I could just plug into the mains and connect to a digital I/O pin and have it running.

So you're saying its not realistic?

It's just that I'm having trouble with my lawn mower right now. It's beginning to smoke, and I find that all the new lawn mowers are rated in "foot-pounds" at an unknown RPM. I even asked Briggs and Stratton and they replied that they don't know how foot-pounds are related to horsepower!

So I told them the formula and wished them luck on the class action law suit about deceptive labeling practices.

First of all what Digital I/O do you actually have, a micro controller? It has to have a power supply, they're typically 5 volts, or 3.3 volts. If the Digital side is 5 volt powered then you don't need to mess with mains at all you just use the controllers power source and use a simple transistor to drive the LED from the digital I/O line. That's as quick and dirty as you can get. Directly powering an LED from mains is generally not a good idea, at least if you have logic level voltages already at hand.

Hey.
The thing is that I need a quick and dirty solution.
Something that I could just plug into the mains and connect to a digital I/O pin and have it running.

So you're saying its not realistic?

These LEDs usually draw from 1 to 15 Watts depending on what kind of incandescent they are trying to emulate. This is beyond using simplistic Optocoupled Power FETs. However, you can control a small triac with one.

Go here and try this circuit SimpleIO - Application Note - Triac Series Gate Resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back