Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

220v-110v transformer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg32

Hey guys,

I hope someone can give some much needed advice. I have 2 problems, My girlfriend plugged her 110v 1200w hair dryer into a 500w 220v step down transformer (ouch). That socket has no power now. Then she decided to try another socket (double ouch) and blew the living room and bedroom lights in our apartment. Somehow that socket still works though. I have triple checked the circuit breaker, flipped them all off and on to no avail. I think these might be 2 seperate problems now.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Greg

I have triple checked the circuit breaker, flipped them all off and on to no avail.
Are you saying that all your circuit breakers no longer work ? That conflicts with "that socket still works though."

Four options.
1. Replace the socket and the girl friend.
2. Replace the socket and keep the girl friend.
3. Keep the non functioning socket and replace the girl.
4. Sit in the dark with the girl friend.

Hey guys,

I hope someone can give some much needed advice. I have 2 problems, My girlfriend plugged her 110v 1200w hair dryer into a 500w 220v step down transformer (ouch). That socket has no power now. Then she decided to try another socket (double ouch) and blew the living room and bedroom lights in our apartment. Somehow that socket still works though. I have triple checked the circuit breaker, flipped them all off and on to no avail. I think these might be 2 seperate problems now.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Greg

Welcome to the ETO forums Greg!

A 120 Volt (I know you said 110 Volt) 1200 Watt hair drier would draw in upwards of 10 amps at 120 volts. The 1200 Watts likely well exceed the transformer rating. Next, are you sure this was a transformer and not for example a device labeled travel transformer for example? Many are also called voltage converters also. All such units should be fused or have a circuit breaker. What was the rating of the outlet initially used? Regardless my guess is the device was overloaded and failed. The socket without power may have a burned or broken wire behind it. Since I don't know your location I am not familiar with your mains distribution scheme.

<EDIT> I like Ron Simpson's corrective actions. </EDIT>

Ron

Last edited:
Another possibility is a GFCI outlet which would trip the buttons on the outlet itself and could trip stuff downstream.

e.g. There happens to be a GFCI outlet at the feed of the porch, so all outlets and outdoor light is GFCI protected. I did the right thing and labeled each outlet GFCI protected, so you don't run into issues like yours.

It's also possible that say the links on the outlet melted or the connections became loose because of the heat.

One way to trace is to use a breaker finder and try to trace wires and were they go through the walls.

I am currently working on an issue right now where the ground is broken between outlet A and outlet B.

I too, like ronsimpson's advice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back