Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The music I like is what I like. I dont care if anyone tells me its great or terrible.
I like many of the rush and the beatles songs too but not all. Still good bands all the way around! :)

Very well put! I'm not really one to love or hate a genre or a band. I love some songs from bands which otherwise are useless, I hate some songs from bands which I otherwise love, and I've never encountered a genre which didn't have at least one or two songs I liked.

country however could curl up and die for all I care! Reallly! Its the only type of music that just does not sit well with me. I just dont care for the sound, the lyrics, the tempo, or the fake drawl of the singers. Randy Travis is a fair actor and I Will watch any show or movie he is in but when he sings I just want to smack him with a shovel until he quits! :eek: :D

I think you're talking about "New Country". Bleah. Mostly crap. Then again it's essentially what I think of as Wal-Mart Pop--usually just generic pablum. There are a couple of New Country tunes I like (a couple of Dixie Chicks tunes are good, like "Goodbye Earl"). But if I'm looking for good country I usually go back to the classics and say away from anyone wearing a clean black Stetson. If you want good country, you need dirty, drunk, and depressed. :)

Torben

I agree on the country part Torben. I actualy do have about 20 country songs I can listen to and dont mind them at all. SO what percentage is that of all of them that have ever be written? .000001 +/- Something?
Most of my friends that listen to country dont seem to have all that much natural free will, independence,intelegence, or high self esteme either. They are rather crowd followers by nature. The "Everyone else walked off a cliff, so I should too. They all can't be wrong, can they?" types.
Human sheep mentality.
It sort of makes me sad some times.

I know a lot of folks who got into country because the dancing is fun and a great way to meet hot chicks... :)

Last edited:
I agree on the country part Torben. I actualy do have about 20 country songs I can listen to and dont mind them at all. SO what percentage is that of all of them that have ever be written? .000001 +/- Something?
Most of my friends that listen to country dont seem to have all that much natural free will, independence,intelegence, or high self esteme either. They are rather crowd followers by nature. The "Everyone else walked off a cliff, so I should too. They all can't be wrong, can they?" types.
Human sheep mentality.
It sort of makes me sad some times.

I agree, but I think it's not limited to that genre of music. I mean, here in Canada, an ultra-generic rock band band called Nickelback just swept the Juno awards (the Canadian Grammys)--and Nickelback is to music what McDonald's is to fine cuisine.

Torben

I sure would love to be able to play farewell to the kings on the guitar. I have only managed to learn most of 2112 and Lakeside Park. Someone taught me Lakeside. I think it starts D then D minor or sharp. Never learned music, just play by ear.

Hmmm, maybe it was not lakeside park.. Damn now I gotta dig through my old CD's to remember which tune it was.

----------------edit again-------------------

Okay I got it, it was fly by night... :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
I agree, but I think it's not limited to that genre of music. I mean, here in Canada, an ultra-generic rock band band called Nickelback just swept the Juno awards (the Canadian Grammys)--and Nickelback is to music what McDonald's is to fine cuisine.

Nothing wrong with Nickelback, they are just a standard rock band, you get what you expect.

Love Rush. Everything up to "Subdivisions", anyway.

Geddy was not a handsome man was he?
Certainly not, but I'd bet for sure that he had some mighty fine looking groupies! Rush is one of those rock groups that's elevated amongst the rest of their kind. KANSAS is another group that displayed musical mastery. Each member earned a Master's degree in music... they weren't some garage band that happened to make it big. Their music showcased their talents and mastery. It's a shame to see them now playing venues at amusement parks and small fairs. I always considered them to be a mega-group just as Rush was.

Me too. Love Kansas. Tore at my heart to hear "Dust In The Wind" at the music used for a big whoop-chuckle car advertisement a couple of years ago with people falling on their butts as the cars fell apart. WHICH OF THE BIG THREE DID THAT??? No f'ckn bail-out money for those bastards.

... here in Canada, an ultra-generic rock band band called Nickelback just swept the Juno awards (the Canadian Grammys)--and Nickelback is to music what McDonald's is to fine cuisine.
Oh contrare! Chad Kroger's unique vocal timbre is what makes that band along with their straight forward, foot-tapping melodies. It's music that one can listen to with pleasure, and without the need to hear painful, gutterall screaming lyrics that you can't understand one word of (eg., System of a Down). Pearl Jam is another group that has produced sensible, listenable music.

Me too. Love Kansas. Tore at my heart to hear "Dust In The Wind" at the music used for a big whoop-chuckle car advertisement a couple of years ago with people falling on their butts as the cars fell apart. WHICH OF THE BIG THREE DID THAT??? No f'ckn bail-out money for those bastards.
Dust In The Wind was a precursor to the time that Kerry Livgren turned religous and started writing "glory" songs. That destroyed the band IMHO. The album Song for America is absolutely fabulous as is the title track. The lyrics speak true words to me.
One of my other favorite British groups is Supertramp -- one helluva band!!! Child of Vision is one track that I play using a Revox CD player, through a 600watt amplifier connected to a pair of JBL Studio Masters or Klipschorns. Stupendous!

See, and some of you guys thought all I do is drink beer and rake hay!

Last edited:
And lets us not leave out "YES" :)

Oh contrare! Chad Kroger's unique vocal timbre is what makes that band along with their straight forward, foot-tapping melodies. It's music that one can listen to with pleasure, and without the need to hear painful, gutterall screaming lyrics that you can't understand one word of (eg., System of a Down). Pearl Jam is another group that has produced sensible, listenable music.

Obviously everybody's entitled to their opinion, but there's lots of accessible feel-good music which isn't so blatantly MOR and obviously written to be the cash cow that it is.

Torben

Hey, I fell for it - I liked "Too Bad" a lot. Liked the whole album. Next one sucked.

And lets us not leave out "YES" :)
I was thinking of YES when I was typing the above reply. YES was a unique band as was the original Genesis with P. Gabriel and their theatrical rock days of Trick of the Tail, and Selling England By the Pound.... THAT WAS GENESIS!! I always enjoyed Roger Deans artwork.. even on the Yes album covers.... CD cases lack that feature.

Selling England By the Pound is a "killer" album... I can't tell you how many times I listened to that over and over again. Definitely a night and day difference in talent and musicianship when compared to Motorhead!!! I don't hear their loud, yelling music too well cause I'm sadly distracted by Lemmy's grotesque moles... you'd think a rocker with that kind of income would at least get them removed... or is that his trademark? The only time Motorhead seemed tolerable to me was when they appeared in an episode of The Young Ones, as Rick and Vivian went bezerk with destruction. The Young Ones --- what a hoot that show was!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back