Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

20 X 5 binary Encoder needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkshima

Wow! You-d-man! :D
I am starting to try and bring myself up to speed on reading the parallel port. (I've never had to learn how before)

Also, I am experimenting with switches to see what would work the best.

:?: Question: have you ever used any static I/O data aquizition boards? I was lookinto those a bit and this might be another alternative to the parellel port. Only advantage that I can see is that it would already have the API interface for reading the port. If I am understanding how they work, it seems that it would interface with what you have designed quite nicely.

Thank much, my friend.
Charlie

the thing is that you need to encode 50 lines into 5 bits(i presumme that only one of the lines can be active high)
you can do this with diodes. or use a specialy designed encoder, but the only one i know coverst from 15 inputs to 4 bits, dont know anything about 20->5.
maybe someone knows

hi bogdan,

there r only 20 + 3 lines to be encoded seperately.

how can this b done with diodes.
what is the ic number of that 16 X 4 encoder u mentioned.
lets try a hand at cascading two of them.

hi charlie,

i havnt worked with any data acquisition board before.
i never needed them. the common ports work fine for me.
also they wont realy b at advantage as u said cos the normal ports
do have APIs which r much better designed by better companies and have been tested over the ages. also buying new aquisition board is
just like throwing in more money :roll: .

also as far as i know parallel port can input only 5 bits. it can OUTPUT 8 bits. thats bad but i guess we will b able to modify this circuit to produce
4 bits at a time.

bye :)

**broken link removed**
here are some ics that are encoders.
4532 could be good, considering that you use only osme of the bits(them)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back