Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

20 pulses and circuit goes LOW state, what determines the number of pulses before it goes low?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of circuits output a number of pulses before it goes into a low state? what kind of circuit's is this called?

What Component determines the number of pulses? is a counter or clock , or timer the only options?

a.) use a counter , but how do u get the counter to only output 20 pulses before it went into a low state?
b.) use TIMER, but how do u get the Timer to only output 20 pulses before it went into a low state?
c.) What can I use to ENABLE an Op amp input or a Comparator input to only output 20 pulses before it went into a low state?
d.) What can I use to ENABLE a Transistor or FET was a "switch" to only output 20 pulses before it went into a low state?
e.) Use A clock , but how do u get the clock to only output 20 pulses before it went into a low state?

What is an RC network that has Diodes called? the diodes are to discharge the RC network really fast

Can you make an Counter or Timer from an RC network that has Diodes to do the discharging? a Passive RC network with Diodes configured to be a counter or timer? to only output 20 pulses and then it goes into a low state?

Example#1 circuit
Pulse period = 1 second
Number of pulses = 20 pulses = 20 seconds
Total time of pulse train = 20 seconds
Output goes into low state after 20 seconds

Please learn about clock oscillators, counters and decoders YOURSELF instead of asking about these simple basic parts in this forum.

What circuits have u seen with this type of function block that has so many pulses before it goes to a low state?

I have seen clocks, timers, counters, but the pulse train does automatically stop after a certain pulse number , you have to manually turn the clock, timer, counter circuit OFF

This circuit I'm talking about automatically turns off at a certain pulse number

Decode the counter's output on the pulse number you want and feed the output of the decoder to the reset pin of the counter.
Please see my post #3.

How can you do this using an RC network and diodes to discharge and charge the RC network

The Diodes in the RC network control the charging time and discharging time
So the Diodes in a RC network determines the pulse width and pulse period?

But also you can have diodes that makes the RC network turn OFF and On , Chopping it off and on but how? so you can be a pulse train

You can make a pulse train circuit out of an RC network with diodes right?

When someone gives you an answer that solves your problem, why do you then ask about how to do solve the problem with inappropriate components? :confused: Are you perhaps a computer program designed to continually ask technical questions until everyone is totally exasperated? If so, it's a very effective program.

Last edited:
If you want to count 20 pulses, you use a counter set to act when it has been clocked 20 times. Basic first year digital class work.

An RC timer can't count. The closest you can get with an RC network is something that integrates duty cycle. But that isn't what you're asking.

The closest you can get with an RC network is something that integrates duty cycle

What do u mean by integrating the duty cycle? you mean giving the duty cycle a slope or ramp? than the pulse period would have a ramp and slope?

If you want to count 20 pulses, you use a counter set to act when it has been clocked 20 times.

What is making the counter set to be clocked 20 times?

You enable the counter but how do you make it clocked at 20 times?

When a counter, timer or clock outputs a pulse train and doesn't stop , is this called free running? i don't know the correct term
When a counter, timer or clock outputs a pulse train but STOPS at a certain number of pulses, what is this called? i don't know the correct term

Sorry Mods cant resist, I did try.
Quick example,
555 timer (dosnt have to be) connected to two 4017 decade counters, each pulse from 555 makes the decade output move along one, if you want 12 pulses put reset on on output 12, so it counts reaches its target and resets.
Try a google for counters, there are lots, some do binary!! if you had looked you see they also have a reset pin ;). I am starting to think you have trouble spelling. so purely as a favour
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=decade+counters
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=4017+circuits
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+use+counters

or you can use shift registers
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+shift+registers+work

Links to help you generally

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Idiots+guide+to+Google

Billy,
Why don't you know that most counters are BINARY, not straight sequencers (a CD4017 is a straight sequencer)? A binary counter has many outputs such as 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 etc.
Why don't you know what a DECODER does? It decodes the outputs of the binary counter into a real number like "20" that you use to stop the counter. A few gates can decode "20" from a binary counter or you can use two CD4017 sequencers in series.
Oh, I forgot that you did not learn ANYTHING about electronics.

In both examples, what is determining the 20 pulses? is it the reset circuit? how does it know to only output 20 pulses?

Can a RC network with or without diodes generate a pulse train?, or pulses with gaps?
Can a RC network with or without diodes that's connect to a comparator generate a pulse train, or pulses with gaps?

hi billy,
using 4 diodes is called rectification, using only 1 is half wave (i think)

to answer your question they part you are mainly looking for is a counter, plus you need to generate pulses, which is 555 timer suggested, finally you need logic to decode the garble (binary) out of the counter...also this logic feeds back to the reset pin....and/or/not gates and such. and a pile of wire

you could also do it with shift registers and flip flops,

there are lots of funny little chips out there and ways you could do it and you do not seem to be a student , but someone looking for answers to practical problems, and if you are getting in to tracing pulses and decoding data i suggest skipping HARDWARE logical circuits, and jump over to a micro controller,

i have not picked up a logic IC since, for example the 12f510 is the same size, and a rather small processor but can do 10x more, then you can count AND log many pulses with a simple 10 lines of code. and reprogram it when you made a mistake and realize that it was the 24th pulse you had to switch with...

I would suggest for you to cut to a chase here, where r u coming from and where are you going with these pulses??
if you explain what you are doing exactly you will be more likely properly pointed in a correct direction... usually small questions like these will send you barking up the wrong tree.

Dr Doggy,
Billy is repairing circuit boards made in the late 60's and early 70's for airplane controls. He has old schematics and a tester. The tester simply says good or no good. He has a manager and works with other workers who also do not know electronics and they do not know what they are doing. None of them know how the circuits work and they do not have good boards to compare with.
Their work must meet the ISO9000 quality standard by them writing what caused the circuit board to fail but they do not have a clue. Some workers apply a high current to see the smoke or feel heat where there is a fault, do you believe it?

Billy has many threads on this website about his repairs (destruction?) that were closed by moderators. I thought he was banned by administration but this thread is still open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back