Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 button control for a single motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dansin

Hi all, first post so please go easy on me!

I would really appreciate some help working out a circuit design.

I have a switch which uses 2 momentary buttons to control 2 motors. There are 3 wires which (I'm assuming) are a positive feed to the switches and then a feed out to each motor. I want to use this 2 switch setup to control a single motor, backwards and forwards. It's for a navigation setup on a rally bike.

I have a photo of an (apparently) working circuit and a diagram of sorts but can't work out the connections. I can work out the components are 2x omron G5V-1 relays, 3x 100nF capacitors and 2x diodes.

Can anyone help with what to connect to what? Or is there a simpler way to achieve the same thing?

Thanks

rallye 5 relay circuit to MD.jpg
schaltung.png

I have a switch which uses 2 momentary buttons to control 2 motors. There are 3 wires which (I'm assuming) are a positive feed to the switches and then a feed out to each motor. I want to use this 2 switch setup to control a single motor, backwards and forwards.

If you have a couple of Mom switches you cannot use the circuit as-is.
It relies on maintained sw's.
In order to use the Mom. P.B.'s you need relays with extra contacts.
Are the motors on together or separately?
Max.

The photo shows only 1 switch with 3 wires, but the diagram shows 2 switches each with 2 wires. The drawing looks right for what you are asking, but you kinda sorta really do need two switches to match the thread title.

ak

What do you want the switches to do?
Now:
Press and hold UP and the motor runs "up".
Press and hold DOWN and the motor tuns "down".
Press and hold UP & Down and the motor will "brake", not freely turn.
Press nothing and the motor will "brake".
upload_2017-7-8_13-10-50.png

You could get SPDT momentary switches and not use the relays.

Thanks for all of the replies. The image does show a toggle rather than 2 mom switches. I would guess that it's a mom toggle with the centre position being 'dead'. That type of switch is common to most single motor roadbook holders.

The switch I have is shown below. It's usual use is for the 3 red buttons to control a tripmeter and the 2 blue buttons control 2 motors in a roadbook holder. Holding either blue button drives one or other motor, which winds the roadbook forwards or backwards.

I want to use the 2 blue buttons with a single motor roadbook holder, to drive it forwards or backwards. I just don't know how to achieve it.

Am I right in thinking that the circuit diagram does what I want and I just need to work out how to convert that to a pcb and how to wire the components?

I don't know if it's relevant but I've tested the switches for continuity.

Pressing switch 1 gives continuity between green and red.
Pressing switch 2 gives continuity betweeen green and blue.
Pressing both switches gives continuity between red and blue.

IMG_1727.PNG

What do you want the switches to do?
Now:
Press and hold UP and the motor runs "up".
Press and hold DOWN and the motor tuns "down".
Press and hold UP & Down and the motor will "brake", not freely turn.
Press nothing and the motor will "brake".
View attachment 106956
You could get SPDT momentary switches and not use the relays.

From what you're describing it's doing what I want. The switches that I have are momentary (see the photo in the above post). I'm guessing not using relays would involve rewiring the switches? They're encased in resin so that would be very difficult to achieve.

If you want the motor to turn only when you hold the button in then the circuit in #1 looks as though it'll work.
The pic in #1 shows a toggle switch, if you used something this size you dont even need relays, you could wire the switch direct to the motor (though you wouldnt have the brake function).
The brake function can be hard on the motor, if your not pressing the buttons every few seconds though it wouldnt be so bad.
(first circuit (you'd need a momentary toggle switch you can get them): https://www.homebuiltrovs.com/howtocontroloptions.html)

If you want the motor to turn only when you hold the button in then the circuit in #1 looks as though it'll work.
The pic in #1 shows a toggle switch, if you used something this size you dont even need relays, you could wire the switch direct to the motor (though you wouldnt have the brake function).
The brake function can be hard on the motor, if your not pressing the buttons every few seconds though it wouldnt be so bad.
(first circuit (you'd need a momentary toggle switch you can get them): https://www.homebuiltrovs.com/howtocontroloptions.html)

Thanks. I just need to figure out how to convert the diagram to working pcb. A bit more research required! I think I'll buy a breadboard and some components and experiment.

I appreciate a momentary toggle will easily achieve the forward and backwards that I need but I want to use the momentary buttons on the switch I have. The main reason being I'm intending to only run one switch on the left bar of the bike and a toggle is much more likely to break in a crash. The pro's run redundant switches and toggles which isn't an option for me.

A piece of veroboard is simple to do, ebay is your friend there.

So components have arrived. I'll have go this weekend to recreate the circuit and hopefully I can get it all working... Easy stuff I'm sure for most of the contributors but a first for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back