Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

18f2550 programming (SW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lez

I have for many years used pic basic on the 16 series, but I know want to build usb connected designs instead of my usual serial controlled items.

I'm going into this blind and have not got a clue how these new pics do the comms over usb.

Has anyone got any simple hello world and turn that LED on software so I can look at whats going on?

lez said:
I have for many years used pic basic on the 16 series, but I know want to build usb connected designs instead of my usual serial controlled items.

I'm going into this blind and have not got a clue how these new pics do the comms over usb.

Has anyone got any simple hello world and turn that LED on software so I can look at whats going on?

There are USB examples and application notes on the MicroChip site, but be aware that it's FAR more complicated than serial.

lez said:

Try reading Microchip's application note AN956 "Migrating Applications to USB from RS-232 UART with Minimal Impact on PC Software".

Code for that is not much different from 16 series. In fact aside from the PIC18 specific initializing software, I think you can simply cut and paste assembly code from the PIC16 family with very little change.

Making code for the USB is a much bigger step however. I have a PICDEM FS USB evaluation kit. It came with bootloader and sample firmware. Luckily they are also available for download from Microchip's website. Download the file MCHPFSUSB.ZIP. Unzip and install. The source codes can be found in the install directory.

**broken link removed**

You may also try Jungo Windriver USB development software. They support the PIC18F2550 chip. There is a 30 day trial version on their website.

https://www.jungo.com

Last edited:
lez said:

I've built USB based on PIC18F2550 or 4550. (USB GEN and USB CDC)
I've used HTPICC18 to built firmware on PIC, and Borland Delphi 7 to write software on PC.

You can visit:
www.microchipc.com
www.sixca.com

motion said:
You may also try Jungo Windriver USB development software. They support the PIC18F2550 chip. There is a 30 day trial version on their website.

https://www.jungo.com

PC software generated by Windriver is very complex, it read Endpoint directly.
You should use Microchip's DLL. You can use Visual Basic or Borland Delphi to do it. It's very simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back