16/32 Bit Micro's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclocked

Im curious to know what everyone's thought is on 16/32 Bit microcontrollers in the embedded world (ie Like PIC). As a Hobbyist, 8 Bit seems Fine enough, but 16 Bit is becoming cheaper than 8 in some cases. I cant seem to figure out a use for 16/32 bit Micro's in the hobby realm, as they have most of the peripherals that 8 bit has, just with more performance.

I have the Microstick II that I have been "dabbling" with, which came with a 32 Bit Micro in a DIP package! I wonder if 32 Bit Micro's can handle Floating Point Data...

With the release of 32 micro's we have opened up the world of colour touch and fast mathematical calculations..

I will be porting my gear over to the latest pic32 as soon as I can... 8 bits are good but imagine the 8+k of linear ram.... The pic18 maxed out at nearly 4k.... Cheaper better faster... what's stopping you...

All dev boards are mega cheap.... I can pick up a chipkit uno for £17..... say no more...

I use 32-bit micros almost exclusively for my hobby use. 99% of the time it is for colour LCD's with touch screens, as Ian said. I usually use them for the speed and large amount of RAM. Of course if it is something small and simple then I would go for a more appropriate micro.

At the moment my favourite is the STM32F4 range which has up to 2MB of code space, up to 256kB of RAM, inbuilt SRAM/LCD/NAND/NOR controller, and a single-cycle floating point unit.

I usually make up my own 'development board' with the touch screen LCD and then use it for things such as calculating and displaying a Julia Set, or a rotating 3D cube, or Conways Game of Life, or any other exercises I find fun.

These things you wouldn't really be able to do with an 8-bit micro.

Just for example type in STM32F4 discovery into youtube and have a look. There are people making MP3 players, video players, sega and nintendo emulators, very basic DSO's etc.

Ian, Did you have any trouble with Code? I use Swordfish SE for my 8 bit parts, which make extensive use of libraries (Which is nice!), but it seems that XC8/16/32 also have libraries for ADC/LCD/UART/etc, but finding documentation seems to be hard.

Ive seen some of the STM boards, and they are very price competitive. The only problem is I would have to relearn a new language.

32-bit controllers are practically micro-computers, actually more capable than computers of 90-s. The programming style is different. There are lots of libraries, which do quite complicated things - graphical displays, touch screen, USB, Internet, WiFi become really easy. You can start running a Web server on your chip within minutes.

They also have DMA, built-in hardware modules, so it's easy to do standard microcontroller stuff, such as UART, SPI, I2C,ADC etc.

Prices are going down too.

I don't think that 8-bit microcontrollers are going to hold up for much longer. For some reason, it makes me sad

I use C.... I have mikroC for pic32..... If you are a fan of swordfish then buy a chipkit uno and download Davids Firewing basic compiler https://www.firewing.info/pmwiki.php?n=Firewing.Library

You can program it in Basic..

I don't think that 8-bit microcontrollers are going to hold up for much longer. For some reason, it makes me sad

Don't worry, the classic 8 bit controller market is actually growing to handle all the little tasks its 32 bit brothers have decided are beneath its awesome capabilities.

**broken link removed**

Im Back From Maker Faire today. I "caved" in and bought a TI launch pad (MSP430FR5969RGZ). From the get-go (as I write this, Im just plugging it in and doing research) there seems to be ALOT more tools available, and a much bigger community built around this thing than say The PICs I have. I noticed today that there were a lot more projects that used the TI launch Pad, rather than the arduino projects Ive seen in the past (which is fine, That Rant is for another day). I also saw Freescale there, which was interesting. There were of course, a lot of raspi projects as well, some simple and some complex.

Im gonna give this a shot and see what I can come up with.

ADD: I also forgot that Mikroelectronica has a basic like language for PIC32. The code Limit is to 8kb, which I think would be more than enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…