13 -50V to 10V, conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varunme

what is the easiest and cheapest method for 13 -50V to 10V, conversion, below 100mA

DC voltage from SMPS,

Easy and cheap is a linear regulator. Your requirements fit inside an LM317HV. At 50 V input the regulator will be dissipating 4 W, requiring at least a heatsink and maybe a fan depending on the available air. An even easier alternative is a simple zener diode plus a small power transistor, but the power issue is the same and the regulation will be a bit worse. What regulation tolerance do you need?

Next up is a switching buck regulator. Lotsa goodies on ebay with 60 V input ranges.

ak

Last edited:
Easy and cheap is a linear regulator. Your requirements just fit inside an LM317H. At 50 V input the regulator will be dissipating 4 W, requiring at least a heatsink and maybe a fan depending on the available air.

ak
But in LM317H datasheet, its saying 1.2V–25V Adjustable Regulator, not anywhere saying 50V

The LM317HV (my typo) can tolerate 57 V from its input terminal to output terminal. With a 10 V output voltage, the device can handle up to 67 V at the input.

I corrected my previous post.

ak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…