Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v to 5v

Status
Not open for further replies.

spike47

Hi

I am making a simple voltage regulator using a TS7805 , as per the diagram attached , to light up some led's in a PC Gaming machine I am building , can I fit another spec of capacitor instead of the ones shown :

1x TS7805 5 volt regulator
2x 1uf capacitor
1x power plug (or other connector)
1x 220 ohm resistor
1x Blue LED (I used a diffused one)

I have plenty 16v 22μf capacitors ! , I have seen simular voltage reducers using a TS7805 and using different spec capacitors .

question : how do you work out in that simple circuet what size capacitors to use .

cheers

spike

Attachments

• screen shot 12v to 5v.jpg
    screen shot 12v to 5v.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 181
hi spike,
For a simple 5V LED driver your components are OK.
When you say that you need to light some LED's why not just use a higher value of resistor than the 220R and drive the LED's from 12v.??

E

hi spike,
For a simple 5V LED driver your components are OK.
When you say that you need to light some LED's why not just use a higher value of resistor than the 220R and drive the LED's from 12v.??

E
The led in the pic is only to show that there is a feed there , not to light the led's inside the PC .

spike

the OP said:
how do you work out in that simple circuit what size capacitors to use .

Usually the manufacturer gives suggestions. These small capacitors on the power supply are known as "bypass capacitors". They are usually of the ceramic type. They do need to located "close" to the device.

In the "real world" one might use a parallel combination of various types of capacitors to exploit the characteristics of the particular capacitor type.

LEDs do not need the voltage to be regulated. If the voltage is or goes a little higher or a little lower then you will not notice the very small change in brightness.
With the 12V supply you can light 3 blue LEDs in series and in series with a current-limiting resistor.

You know what? Yesterday my Chaser project developed a shorted bright green Name Brand LED that has been flashing continuously for 10.5 years. I am lucky that none of the LEDs were in series. I replaced the shorted LED with an identical one from an LED fader project I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back