Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v dc

Status
Not open for further replies.

captflx

I am looking for an item to place in the 12V wiring to a LED. The item would stop current less than 12 volts DC reaching the LED, but would open for flow of 12 volts or more. Is there something like this? If so, what do I ask for at a Radio Shack?

You are talking about a voltage regulator. But what is the source of your voltage?

I forgot to mention that my circuit is 10 amps.

The source of the current is a fan that is not energized but is rotating in 60 mph air (car cooling fan at radiator). The LED comes on to let me know that the fan has been energized. However, at 60 mph the fan is generating enough current to light the LED without acutually being energized from 12V source. I'm guessing the current reaching the LED from the fan is less than 12V. Sounds crazy, but I think that is what is happening.

A simple diode in the line to stop power flowing back when the fan is working as a generator will fix the problem.

SABorn, thanks. With 14 ga. wire and 10 amps load, is this a diode that would be available at Radio Shack? What exactly do I spec when it comes to this diode? As you can see, my knowledge of electronics is limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back