12V DC CFL Inverter for 20W CFL - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

surendran

Dear Friends
Can any one help me by giving a CFL inverter circuit using the Mosfet IRF 540 (2 nos).
Input - 12V dc
We have to light up a 20W CFL.

Please Help

Twelve volt CFL bulbs are pretty common so why take the time and effort to build an inverter for a 12 vdc CFL bulb? Since you have Input = 12 VDC why not just get a bulb like this bulb from Amazon?

That or buy a line voltage CFL and power it with an inverter running on 12 VDC.

Ron

So far all of the CFL's I have dissected all rectify the line voltage and convert it to DC so as long as you can provide a power source of sufficient voltage AC or DC they will work.

The simplest inverter that would drive a CFL off of a DC source using only two switching devices would be this and can be made from very basic components.

There are tons of low wattage inverters on the market, for under $10, some in the $5 range. These are in the 40-80 watt range, and intended as cellphone chargers, basically anything that has a wallwart adapter to charge the batteries. I've got a few sitting around the house, and work great, until the battery gets low, then they flash on and off... I know it kind of takes the fun out of building something from parts on hand, or basically for free, like the CFL bulbs in Canada, but it's a cheaper and better solution, since the protect your battery from over discharge damage, and maybe the CFL from over voltages. A store bought, low wattage inverter, is much cheaper than replacing a 12 volt battery. Personally, I really hate getting shocked, and avoid poking around in stuff that can bite back...

I have designed A 20W oscillator for 220V/50Hz o/p with your ckt diagram.I have used 2χ 2N3055 transistors & 100 Ohm 5W resistances.But confused with the capacitor value @ the O/p of transformer.Can I use 0.1uF/400V Cap? Your Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…