Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12V DC CFL Inverter for 20W CFL - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

surendran

Dear Friends
Can any one help me by giving a CFL inverter circuit using the Mosfet IRF 540 (2 nos).
Input - 12V dc
We have to light up a 20W CFL.

Please Help

Twelve volt CFL bulbs are pretty common so why take the time and effort to build an inverter for a 12 vdc CFL bulb? Since you have Input = 12 VDC why not just get a bulb like this bulb from Amazon?

That or buy a line voltage CFL and power it with an inverter running on 12 VDC.

Ron

So far all of the CFL's I have dissected all rectify the line voltage and convert it to DC so as long as you can provide a power source of sufficient voltage AC or DC they will work.

The simplest inverter that would drive a CFL off of a DC source using only two switching devices would be this and can be made from very basic components.

Dual Transistor  Oscillator.png

There are tons of low wattage inverters on the market, for under $10, some in the $5 range. These are in the 40-80 watt range, and intended as cellphone chargers, basically anything that has a wallwart adapter to charge the batteries. I've got a few sitting around the house, and work great, until the battery gets low, then they flash on and off... I know it kind of takes the fun out of building something from parts on hand, or basically for free, like the CFL bulbs in Canada, but it's a cheaper and better solution, since the protect your battery from over discharge damage, and maybe the CFL from over voltages. A store bought, low wattage inverter, is much cheaper than replacing a 12 volt battery. Personally, I really hate getting shocked, and avoid poking around in stuff that can bite back...

I have designed A 20W oscillator for 220V/50Hz o/p with your ckt diagram.I have used 2χ 2N3055 transistors & 100 Ohm 5W resistances.But confused :rolleyes: with the capacitor value @ the O/p of transformer.Can I use 0.1uF/400V Cap? Your Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back