Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v 6amp circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kagan09

hi how can i get 12vdc with 6 amps from 220vac ? from my research i know i could use a transformer a bridge rectifier and a filter capacitor. can someone send a link for the transformer i wasnt able to find it or if theres another way to do it can i get a simple drawing of the circuit .
thanks

If you can just find an old home computer power supply. Simple and cheap.

Ron

how do i put a paint image on my computer onto this forum. i wanted to put the circuit i did.

i couldnt find the transformer to do the job. i'd be happy if i can get a link for a transformer

sorry ron your reply appeared after i posted mine. thats a good idea but i would like the do the circuit myself

Hi Kagan

The first problem you will have with 12 volts @ 6 amps is you will need a large transformer. For example here is a data sheet for Triad name transformers. Note the model VPS12-6300 is capable of 12.6 volts and 6.3 amps. They cost about $50 USD. I can buy a SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) as used in a home computer much cheaper. The problem with building your own SMPS is the complexity. They are cheap to buy. Anyway, once you have a transformer you will need a good bridge rectifier capable of about 10 amps (allow overhead) then some large filter caps. Next if you want it comes regulation which for an amp or less is easy but.... when you want 6 amps becomes more complex and expensive. Thus making a drawing of a simple linear 12 volt 6 amp power supply is relatively easy but getting the parts and building it is costly. While I encourage doing the circuit yourself, I also want you to know what you would be in for. :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back