Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

120V dimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMikey83

Hello,
I have a reptile cage which contains a lizard (bearded dragon).
I have a spot light for a heat lamp and a flourescent light for UVB rays. I am going to get a night lamp tomrrow.
Currently, I have the heatlamp on a timer, on at 7am, off at about 8pm.

I would like to be able to slowly and automatically dim the spot light while slowly bringing the night lamp up to full power and vise versa in the morning. I could use a microcontroller for the timing and probably a PWM signal for the dimming, but how would I use this in conjunction with a 120V circuit?
Could I use an opto-isolator to keep the two circuit separate? If so, how would I wire this up for the lamps?

NOTE: I know I wil not be able to dim up and down the flourecent lamp so it will just turn on and off at the required times.

~Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back