Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Auto dimming LCD backlight with ambient light sensor project

Status
Not open for further replies.

htevents

The end result should be the following:
Android mini pc with HDMI out to LCD display (HDMI in). No fancy things there except for the fact the LCD has to dim when the ambient light gets darker.
The display to be used is 7 inch. I have not chosen a display yet, because I don't know wich one to take, due to the fact I need a certain LCD driver that can handle an ambient light sensor (ALS) to auto dim the backlight.

Any thoughts about this?

I would use a Raspberry Pi 4 and the Raspberry Pi display. You can directly program the backlight brightness of the display from the pi. One value in a file on the pi.
You'll need an ADC to convert an analog ambient light value to something the Pi can read (no on-board ADC).
A light-dependent resistor and a 10k fixed resistor in series is as simple as it gets for ambient light. Or, a green LED reversed biased with a 33k to 100k resistor works too. Connect the node between the two resistors to the ADC input and read result with Pi. Then decide what brightness you want to translate to with code.
Cheers.

The end result should be the following:
Android mini pc with HDMI out to LCD display (HDMI in). No fancy things there except for the fact the LCD has to dim when the ambient light gets darker.
The display to be used is 7 inch. I have not chosen a display yet, because I don't know wich one to take, due to the fact I need a certain LCD driver that can handle an ambient light sensor (ALS) to auto dim the backlight.

Any thoughts about this?

Is it for use as a display in a car? - because for normal TV or pretty well any other sort of display use the first thing you want to do is disable such silly features, as it completely ruins your viewing.

It's a 'feature' which has appeared now and again on TV sets going back to at least the 50's, and has become commonplace in the past few years - and it's utterly crap!, and always has been. We used to modify the few old B&W valve sets that did it, to remove the 'feature' as the customer couldn't disable it back then.

Is it for use as a display in a car? - because for normal TV or pretty well any other sort of display use the first thing you want to do is disable such silly features, as it completely ruins your viewing.

It's a 'feature' which has appeared now and again on TV sets going back to at least the 50's, and has become commonplace in the past few years - and it's utterly crap!, and always has been. We used to modify the few old B&W valve sets that did it, to remove the 'feature' as the customer couldn't disable it back then.
Yes correct, it will be used in a car. The display will function as a custem HUD displaying paramteres from the app Torque.

I would use a Raspberry Pi 4 and the Raspberry Pi display. You can directly program the backlight brightness of the display from the pi. One value in a file on the pi.
You'll need an ADC to convert an analog ambient light value to something the Pi can read (no on-board ADC).
A light-dependent resistor and a 10k fixed resistor in series is as simple as it gets for ambient light. Or, a green LED reversed biased with a 33k to 100k resistor works too. Connect the node between the two resistors to the ADC input and read result with Pi. Then decide what brightness you want to translate to with code.
Cheers.
Thank you very much for this in depth reply. I already had a quick look to a similar solution, the only problem I then run into is: how do I get the video signal of the Android device on the display?

Thank you very much for this in depth reply. I already had a quick look to a similar solution, the only problem I then run into is: how do I get the video signal of the Android device on the display?

I thought you were using HDMI?.

But if your display has an available connection to the backlight?, you could even do auto-brightness with a bit of hardware, using an LDR to vary the backlight current. Everything really depends on your exact display, and what facilities it offers.

I thought you were using HDMI?.

But if your display has an available connection to the backlight?, you could even do auto-brightness with a bit of hardware, using an LDR to vary the backlight current. Everything really depends on your exact display, and what facilities it offers.
Yes, I do use HDMI, so what you are saying is that I have run the video signal from the Androidbdevice thru the RPi? I thought the RPi couldn't handle video input, only output (at least not HD signals).

Just screen cast to RPi from android

Hmm that is interesting. The thing I have to overcome is that the Android device will likely be an Android mini pc. This has no display by itself, so I can't start a cast without controlling the mini pc. Maybe Macrodroid or Tasker can be helpfull for that purpose.

Hmm that is interesting. The thing I have to overcome is that the Android device will likely be an Android mini pc. This has no display by itself, so I can't start a cast without controlling the mini pc. Maybe Macrodroid or Tasker can be helpfull for that purpose.

sounds like you have too many challenges to describe in 11 posts. I'm done.

Ok never mind, I think you made it clear I want something not very possible. Or possible with a lot of detours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back