Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

120 volts to 20 volts

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob

I want to make a power supply that converts 120 volt (wall power) to around 12 to 25 volts DC and up to 20 amps. What would be the best way of approaching this? The first thing that comes to mind would be a transformer specifically designed for that rating, but those can be pricy and I don't know if I could make one. Are there other options? Would a reliable buck converter be hard to build? Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Ben

Switching supplies are definitely the most efficient, and these days can be quite cheap and readily-available. Be mindful that there may still be some high-frequency ripple on the output if not properly filtered though. Whether or not that is a concern would depend on your application.

Switching supplies are definitely the most efficient, and these days can be quite cheap and readily-available. Be mindful that there may still be some high-frequency ripple on the output if not properly filtered though. Whether or not that is a concern would depend on your application.
I will probably invest in one of those modules then someday.
Actually my ZVS circuit just failed on me and I have had no luck so far fixing it, so right now power supply is no longer a major concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back