Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12 v Bicycle Generator and the Blocking Diode

either: 8 amp; 10 amp; 12 amp

• eight, ten or twelve

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 or 10

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

T.J. Johnson BSN

Building B.G. and need to know what amp the Blocking Diode should be? I saw this guy riding it normally with the usual push-pull action which propels the back wheel, His friend said it (the Diode) was getting VERY hot. Conclusions??

Last edited:
I have a shimano hub dynamo, its 6v at 3w which is 0.5a, mine uses a bridge rather than a single diode, its rated at 50v 1a.
A single diode for that would be a 1n4001.
The fact you mention a 10a diode means one of us has the wrong idea.

...Energy Production into a 12V , from a a bike thru a serpentine belt to a motor (probably fridge motor) into a 12V Deep-Cycle lead-acid battery.

...OR, how any amps could a stationary bike produce, considering one has the right hook-up, ex. voltmeter; motor (approx. 1hp.); rectifier diode (blocking?); ect.

According to Wikipedia, "adults of good average fitness average between 50 and 150 watts for an hour of vigorous exercise" (~0.06HP to 0.2HP) .
For charging a 12V lead-acid battery you'd need to generate around 15V. So current would be in the 3A to 10A range, subject to the maximum safe charging current of the battery.

..... but 12V isn't enough to charge a 12V battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back