Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12 or 24V Input need at least 240V output

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakeside

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance for the help.

I'm looking to make an home made electro shocker to stun fishes, and before some of you get judgmental (no offense). My father purchase a few acres of land that have about 18-20 acres of water. I want fish out all the junkie fish to farm raise some fish of my choice.

It's way to expense to get an electro fisher from smith-root.

So what I need is something with a voltage regulator that I can regulate with an output of 240V DC or more.

It can be either running off of a 12V or 24V mariner battery.

Please shoot me some ideas.

Thanks

Not being judgemental here, just cautionary..... I'm *fairly* certain that what you're describing is 100% ILLEGAL for anyone to create or use without a license. Last I heard only licensed biologists doing counts were allowed to use such a device. I'd check with your local law enforcement.

Edit: Grammer and a quick search on legality returned this post discussed earlier on the site https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/fish-shocker.39525/

Last edited:
I would use a simple self oscillating inverter made out of a stock step down transformer with a bridge rectifier on the output to change the AC into DC.

If the pond has fish I doubt you will ever remove them all. Even if you killed off all of the bad fish there will still be eggs to hatch out later and just repopulate the pond.
I have heard of a few people trying to clean out private ponds and some how they could never completely eliminate the bad fish.

Some dutch TV host got jailed for killing 11 guppies: **broken link removed**

So don't tell any Danes about your evil plans.

Why do you want DC voltage? AC is more likely to kill something (including you). You could use a cheap readymade 240V inverter (with some form of output current limiting).

Last edited:
imlovell777:
I check my local laws in my state and it is not illegal to servery my private property using an electro fisher. They do sell them on smith-root.com, but cost a few thousand dollars.

If all the fish is not out that's fine. But I want to get out as much as I can. As I want more of the fish my raise to be my choice of fishes in there.

I don't know better, they reason I ask for DC, I tough Direct Current would be better. But if you said AC is better, I would head in that direction.

Basically like I said I want the setup to be powered by a 12V or 24V battery into an inverter (I'll assume to boost up to 240 + volts), into a regulator with a knob to lower and raise the voltage as needed.

Again, I'm not looking to kill these fishes, I just want to remove them and dump them in the river or main lakes.

Thanks,
Mike

The stunning without killing part may be a little on the tricky side as you have to limit current, somewhat like a taser gun.

The stunning without killing part may be a little on the tricky side as you have to limit current, somewhat like a taser gun.

I know it's a little tricky, that's why I want it to include a regulator, so regulate the voltage, so I don't kill the fish. I'll also include a dead man switch, as an safety.

In order to herd the fish a large voltage is not needed. Fish communicate with small Bioelectric pulses. By creating a lower voltage say 12- 24 volts AC along a floating line and dragging it along from one end of the pond towards the point you want the fish to move to they will move away from it.
The alternating current to fish is like having a very loud siren aimed right at you. It will make you want to move away.
Just using a 555 timer and a simple H-bridge circuit to make your boat battery power alternate would be more than enough.

In order to herd the fish a large voltage is not needed. Fish communicate with small Bioelectric pulses. By creating a lower voltage say 12- 24 volts AC along a floating line and dragging it along from one end of the pond towards the point you want the fish to move to they will move away from it.

They will move away from the point I want them to be at?

I took a few AC/DC classes back in school but it was a while ago never used it again. 555Timer? H-bridge, can you translate that into plain language.

Thanks

Last edited:
Fish herding, now I've heard everything =O How well does that work, and does it work with all types of fish?

Sorry if I mis worded the description. Its too early for me, My language center doesn't fully wake up until after dinner.:D
The fish will move away from the energized line. And go toward the direction of least electrical noise which is the point you want to chase them to!

In electronics terms 555 timer and H-bridge would translate to common English as peanut butter and jelly sandwich! ;)
If you dont know what one is or how to make one, you shouldn't be playing around in the kitchen! :D

I have never actual seen a fish herding operation before. I just happened to remember a person I knew once worked at at big fish farm and he said they had a small battery powered device one of the guys built with radio shack parts.;)

It had a small 12 volt motor cycle battery and made an alternating current that was ran into a wire that two guys would stretch across a pond and then pull it to one end and all of the fish in that pond would just move right along and go right out the exit pipe. :)
One wire was connected to stainless steel rod that was driven into the ground and the other wire was the one they pulled around.

Last edited:
I'll try that method first, seems a lot safer, if that doesn't work I'll try the 24v into 240V AC inverter and will need a voltage regulator, that is very easy to regulate.

If you can help out with the regulator will be great, where I can find a easy to use one with a control know to regulate easier.

Actually what you need to regulate is the current not the voltage. The current is what's gonna kill the fish.

Actually what you need to regulate is the current not the voltage. The current is what's gonna kill the fish.

Is there a device to regulate the current then?

I thought as the voltage drop the current will drop also, or the other way around?

Forgive me for being a newbie here guys, I'm trying to get all the info and understand this properly before I go out and try to put something like this together. So more info the better my research will be on this.

PS: Again, killing the fish is the last resort, I just want to stun them so I can pick them up and drop them at the river or something. Someone told me about a poison I can use, but I don't want to do that, unless it's an ABSOLUTELY last resort.

Last edited:
You need high voltage but low current, for your application of stunning fish I honestly have no idea what to suggest. If you do 220V inverter, only pulse it, never apply it for any length of time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back