Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12 Channel Encoder/Decoder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squintz

Where can i get an encoder and decoder which will allow me to control 9 or more channels?

I seen a holtek encoder/decoder pair but im not sure of the difference between adress bits and Adress/data bits It says its 12 bits but 8 are adress and 4 are data.

I need to be able to encode 12 switches and decode them also.

Is there another name for an encoder? Is a multiplexer and encoder? Can someone give me a really good explanation about encoders and decoders?

the ht648 and the ht648l

the ht648 is a encoder chip , the address lines act as a coding system so that the decoding chip will only respond to the encoder ic, albeit , there are only 512 possible codes to cycle thru so don't go using this on something expensive , the ht648 does encode up to 8 switches to a serial stream with its code value , the chip you discussed only has 4 switch inputs ,
the difference between a multiplexer and a encoder is that a multiplexor is used to switch multiple singnals tru the same line by switching thru the singnals at least 10 times faster than the highest frequency your transmitting , the demux, or de multiplexor must then switch the same speed and in sync with the other end and the signals will come ou tthe same(ish) the other end . encoders are usualy for encoding data onto a serial or parralel bus ( this being a bus or a ir diode or a rf tx ) mostly they are used to trasmit data between one thing and another.
from what i have seen of the ht648 and the ht648l they are designed for remote controls usage , very low data rate , as in a yes i want to turn a light on or turn it off , they are not likely to work well with hundreds or thousands of switch combinations a second, namely a rf modem or a uP interface between cpu to cpu , if you want to do that then you would be well adviced to get a good book and study the subject in depth before trying to build this as it will most likely not work without a lot of tinkering.
good luck with your project , let me know if this answered your question and if you need any further info, if you let me know what it is your trying to make maybe i could offer you some ideas.
mike

8 address bits will give you 0 to 255 storage locations. More than enough for what you are asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back