Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1 in 4 Americans think the Sun Orbits the Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 in 4 Americans think the Sun Orbits the Earth?

Wait, you mean it doesn't? I suppose next you or someone will tell me the earth isn't flat?

Ron

This is a question of mass. Remember Einstein? You fly to the space very fast so that the time slows down for you. You come back and still in your twenties, but all your friends are in 70es.

You could look at this the other way around - you were sitting in your spaceship and your friends were travelling back and forth. Shouldn't they be in 20-es and you growing old? Nope, doesn't happen - the mass of the universe in on their side.

In the southern US 47% of the people believe that plants and animals can not change with time,

Then they are unaware of horse breeders, dog breeders, or fish breeders. However, a dog will never be changed into a donkey.

and they want schools to teach the world is 6000 years old.

That is just silly. The Earth has been around a long time.

Ratch

DerStrom8,

"There is the possibility that the universe is infinite, correct? "

No, the U contains a finite amount of mass and energy, therefore the U is not infinite.

"then we have no point of reference to determine what is revolving around what"

The solar system revolves around the sun, the Earth spins around its axis, the galaxy rotates around its black hole. What is the problem?

"So, in a way, if the universe IS infinite (which we are not sure of so this point is still moot), then saying the sun orbits the Earth could still be considered true."

As I said in a previous post. Celestial mechanics do not allow a large mass to revolve around a small mass.

"but it's something to think about."

It is a mental masturbation exercise.

"We're never going to know for sure what actually revolves around what."

Rotation is easy to determine.

Ratch

Ratch, first of all, you missed my entire point. To begin with, we do not KNOW that the universe contains a finite amount of mass and energy. We tend to assume it does because we, as humans, have never seen anything that is truly infinite. Our minds can't comprehend it, so we just go with what we can understand, which is finite values. We do not know for sure that the universe is finite, and we'll never be able to prove it one way or another. Think of it this way: Let's assume the universe is finite. I realize it's not possible, but let's also assume you go to the end of the universe. What is it? Do you hit a wall? Does it loop back to the other side? Personally, I think it's more likely it's infinite, but that's just me. I am not an astrophysicist, but even astrophysicists have not proven that the universe is finite.

The point you missed was that all of the thoughts I wrote down were based on the possibility that the universe is infinite. If you don't believe it is, then fine. Just ignore my post, it does not apply. Don't pick apart my entire post just because you disagree with one part of it.

...........We do not know for sure that the universe is finite, ...........

.......based on the possibility that the universe is infinite.........
I measured the universe and found that it is 2.2046 pounds short of infinite.

DerStrom8,

So what was your point? That the sun could revolve around the Earth? Celestial mechanics do not allow that to happen. Cosomologists know that the U is winding down energywise. They also cannot account for all the "dark matter" mass the universe is suposed to contain. If they know that some mass is missing, then they must have an idea of how much mass there is, and is therefore finite. They also give a time the U existed and believe the U is expanding. That implies a finite time and space. The human mind cannot experience infinity, but it can comprehend infinity, as L'Hospital did when he published his theorem using relative infinities. And, it is not necessary to know what the edge of the U looks like to appreciate its finiteness. https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/10/1008_031008_finiteuniverse.html

Ratch

DerStrom8,

So what was your point? That the sun could revolve around the Earth? Celestial mechanics do not allow that to happen. Cosomologists know that the U is winding down energywise. They also cannot account for all the "dark matter" mass the universe is suposed to contain. If they know that some mass is missing, then they must have an idea of how much mass there is, and is therefore finite. They also give a time the U existed and believe the U is expanding. That implies a finite time and space. The human mind cannot experience infinity, but it can comprehend infinity, as L'Hospital did when he published his theorem using relative infinities. And, it is not necessary to know what the edge of the U looks like to appreciate its finiteness. https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/10/1008_031008_finiteuniverse.html

Ratch

My point was that without a known point of reference, we cannot really say what revolves around what.

Again, this was just an example of thinking outside of the box. I'm NOT saying the Earth DOESN'T revolve around the sun. It was more philosophical than scientific. Keep that in mind and take it with a grain of salt.

40 virgins sounds more fun to me.. maybe I should turn to islam "just in case"

Just put me down for 5 that know what they are doing. :D

NorthGuy said:^
You fly to the space very fast so that the time slows down for you. You come back and still in your twenties, but all your friends are in 70es.
Oh I heared once it before!! Listens like Amazing! What about is actually? Please anybody!

Ratchit said:^
the galaxy rotates around its black
hole.

BUT now Stephen Hawking saying that There is no Black Hole
What about him? Now I am feeling nothing is true...

And my last amazing hearing is- there is a therory developed about a space craft which has speed equal to light. They said that "the theory is not in opposition of modern physics but it is little twist on modern physics." anybody familier with the theory? How it happens?

Willen,

The article referenced by the link says the black holes are temporary and present until they evaporate. Don't hold your breath until that happens.

Ratch

Google says they get 72 virgins as a reward, not just 40 of them. Something like The Bachelor TV show.
Just put me down for 5 that know what they are doing.
What if none of them likes guys? Just my luck.
Think what kind of hell it would be to trapped in a room with 72 large ugly virgins that don't like you.
Hell fires sound better.

Ugh, Ron. You didn't have to say that. It's going to be hard to sleep tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back