Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

0.5 - 3Hz generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

willtucker

I need a circuit that gives out 0.5Hz to 3Hz. It is for a metronome project. I have tried 555s but i would like to try another method. Simplicity is vital. If the 555 is the best method just say although it does have a margin of error. It would help if it was a 50% duty cycle or there abouts but definatly no more then 50%.

Cheers

Will

Seems to me like a 50% duty cycle will give you 2 clicks per cycle. Don't you want just one per cycle, as you would get with a low duty cycle pulse?

Edit:
I am not a musician. I looked at a schematic (perhaps one you have built) and discovered that it generates a gated 1600Hz tone, with the tone being on some percentage of the time at the beat rate. Hmmm....

willtucker said:
I need a circuit that gives out 0.5Hz to 3Hz. It is for a metronome project. I have tried 555s but i would like to try another method. Simplicity is vital. If the 555 is the best method just say although it does have a margin of error. It would help if it was a 50% duty cycle or there abouts but definatly no more then 50%.

Cheers

Will

well, the 555 generally speaking isnt very good at too high or too low frequencies. But I think its possible to do reasonably well.

You could consider using a 32.767kHz watch crystal oscillator (check for 50% Duty) and a 13 bit counter for a divide by 8192. That will give you a nice stable 50% 4 Hz clock for which you can use another 8 bit counter to further divide this down in a stable fashion. Then you can pick off a nice discrete set of < 4Hz frequencies with switches to use as you wish. Counter logic chips & crystals are cheap.

I find that the 555 is Quite Stable, If you use Good Quality Caps and Resistors.

But I will agree a Xtal osc is Better, but Far more Expensive.

Metronome mark space ratio

I would have thought that the 555 timer would be in its element at these sorts of frequencies?

I agree with RonH ...
I don't understand why you want a 50/50 mark-space ratio, I think this is just adding to the difficulty of the design. Either make it as narrow a pulse as possible (audibly just a 'click') and have one pulse per music beat, either that or use a series capacitor followed by a diode to ground so that only positive-going edges come through to be heard at the output?

RonH The gated tone is just a nice way of making the audible 'click', imagine a drummer tapping a nice steady beat- I think a narrow pulse to a speaker cone could sound similar ?.

Optikon Whilst the divider idea would give brilliant stability I would think it needs to be adjusted in steps much smaller than 1/4 second (equivalent to 15 beats per minute) to be truly useful in music - your idea could be adapted to 1/60 second increments to allow setting to the nearest integer beat per minute ?

Re: Metronome mark space ratio

mechie said:
I would have thought that the 555 timer would be in its element at these sorts of frequencies?

I agree with RonH ...
I don't understand why you want a 50/50 mark-space ratio, I think this is just adding to the difficulty of the design. Either make it as narrow a pulse as possible (audibly just a 'click') and have one pulse per music beat, either that or use a series capacitor followed by a diode to ground so that only positive-going edges come through to be heard at the output?

RonH The gated tone is just a nice way of making the audible 'click', imagine a drummer tapping a nice steady beat- I think a narrow pulse to a speaker cone could sound similar ?.

Optikon Whilst the divider idea would give brilliant stability I would think it needs to be adjusted in steps much smaller than 1/4 second (equivalent to 15 beats per minute) to be truly useful in music - your idea could be adapted to 1/60 second increments to allow setting to the nearest integer beat per minute ?

Yes more dividing (1/6) would be useful.. I'm sure there is a less parts way.. but it isnt really clear why the author seemed to dislike 555 circuit..??
Isn't a metronome just a "click click click" at regular intervals for timing?
So really just a variable pulse generator and 50% duty seems unimportant to me as long as the timing is what you need. I thought it was begging for a 555 solution but like I said, why does the author not like it?

I don't think that you need crystal accuracy for a metronome. Besides its frequency can't be smoothly adjusted. An ordinary varyable-frequency oscillator with a short pulse should be OK. It might need a regulated supply for frequency stability.

Why does the author dislike 555s? They eat a fair amount of current so a 9V battery won't last long. They are designed for a 200mA pull-up or pull-down load, so they create a 400mA supply spike when switching.
A CMOS 555 doesn't have these problems and its 100mA output can drive a small speaker through a resistor. Its resistors can be mismatched to create a short pulse each cycle.

The speaker can be placed in or near a tube or chamber so the resonance mimics a wooden mechanical metronome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back