Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why would they prefer to play video games than study?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Hi

Why would the children (or, perhaps anyone) prefer to play video games, watch movies, etc. than study such as doing homework?

I hope you can understand where I'm coming from. I have seen kids who could play outdoor games even in hot summer days but they wouldn't like to are study even in an air conditioned room. What is the reason? Please let me hear your opinion on this. Thanks.

Personally, I feel that video games are a waste of time, though it may be okay to indulge every now and then on a rainy day. On the other hand, video games in place of homework and studying is completely against my principles.

As for your other question, the only answer I can think of right off is that kids like to be in control. Sitting inside doing homework (even if it's air-conditioned) is not something they like to do. Any opportunity that gives them freedom (like playing outside), they will snatch up in an instant :p:D
Der Strom

Last edited:
You perhaps value your time too much. Who are you to say that it is "wasted time" or "pointless". A man could counter argue that studying is completely pointless and we should just play all our lives. Playing video games and watching movies gives culture and perspective.

"All things should be taken in moderation, even moderation" - Chinese proverb

You perhaps value your time too much.

I do value my time very much. Time is a gift, and it should not be squandered.
My statement about "wasted time" and "pointlessness" was simply my perspective, and was not intended to offend anyone. I know some people who play a lot of video games, and they are perfectly respectable. It is only when the person playing them should be studying that it may pose a problem.
Der Strom

Last edited:
I believe it is our reward system. Sure, people will chose enjoyable activities over what they perceive as work. However, if the reward system were changed so that people either worked or starved, they would probably chose work over starvation. Fear is a great motivator. Of course, I have over stated the "solution" to make a point.

My mother was my greatest motivator. She was barely 14 when the Great Depression hit and from a large immigrant family to boot. Her rationale for working hard was, if you don't work hard, you won't make money, and if you don't make money, you will starve to death. That was usually in the context of losing a job, but the message was clear. She never raised her voice, complained about my grades, or anything like that. She simply instilled the fear that I would stave to death, if I didn't work hard. I probably heard it every day. Not much more was needed. Today, starvation is far less real than it was in 1929, and there are things I enjoy doing, but work has always come first, even now that I am retired.

So, I don't think it is a question of what a child will enjoy doing. The answer to that is obvious. It is a question of what the child feels he needs to do. Do we give our children too much hollow praise for just getting by, thus diminishing the fear of failure? Perhaps. A good and very successful friend was once asked why he didn't praise his employees as much as others did. His response, "the absence of criticism is praise enough."

John

Necessity is the mother of invention.

With no necessity there is no invention, no intelligence required means none can develop.

In the modern world the physical life of a human being in many 'well developed' countries is so without any need for trying for anything that this is what we'll do, only what we're required. Asking yelling, none of that means a damn thing to the human mind unless there is a true consequence. It boils down to upbringing.

As an expecting father, I don't care how easy my kid has it, they are going to WORK to get what they need in one way another, physically or mentally as their disposition allows. If they refuse the choice of growing some aspect of their existence they won't get their fundamentals. The first time you send a kid to bed without dinner is usually enough to get the point across.

As an expecting father, I don't care how easy my kid has it, they are going to WORK to get what they need in one way another, physically or mentally as their disposition allows. If they refuse the choice of growing some aspect of their existence they won't get their fundamentals. The first time you send a kid to bed without dinner is usually enough to get the point across.

Yeah let me know how that works out for you. Kids need a nurturing and caring environment, with love and respect they will most happily follow your lead. No starvation required.

I also agree that awards and accolades should be earned and not simply handed out for participation. Competition breeds excellence, and halfheartedly earned awards breeds mediocrity.

My two boys are reaching their thirties now and they came out pretty okay, my eldest is a little less tempered than my younger but I had not quite yet developed a parental formula for my eldest sons early years.

I good friend and excellent mother once describe raising children is like cooking pancakes. You may have to throw out the first two.

John

There's also the possibility that some kids just "get it" and don't need much or any homework; unfortunately, our (speaking from a US perspective, and one that is slightly/possibly out of date?) education system forces these students, who pick up information quickly, to be slowed down into doing homework (aka busywork) they may not need - if they want to pass the class. When I was in school, I was this way. I tended to wait until the very last minute to do the work, ran it thru quickly, and get the grade. When test time came, I was the one who always "threw the curve" so to speak.

I didn't have to study hard or work hard to make good grades. Homework for me was drudgery. That isn't to say I didn't like to study - just not on subjects taught in school (at that time, in my school, there wasn't anything like electronics or robotics to "study" - the closest I could find was my computer programming class in high school, where we got code on old Apple IIe systems - the higher-end 386 PCs were reserved for another class that taught Wordperfect and Lotus 1-2-3; one year I took the class all year long, three times a day - a fun way to geek out while getting an easy A).

Nowdays, having grown older and wiser, I can see I wasted my time somewhat - I should've taken a few more shop classes (specifically metal shop and auto repair); I've had to learn a lot about that on my own and with the help of my brother-in-law since then...

:)

I'm sure times haven't changed. Then again, it could just be for the (obvious) reasons mentioned by others in this thread as well - I would suspect for most kids, those reasons are likely.

It's a general statement Mike not a specific example, a child needs to grow knowing what the consequences of their actions are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back