Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Whitfield Pellet Stove Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheriffjer

Hi I hope someone can help me. Here's a quick history. I bought the Whitfield profile 30 pellet stove three years ago. First year non problems. On high setting a big bright flame which would go up and down as the sensors demanded. 2nd year started the same with no problems. Towards the end of the 2nd year (last year) I noticed that the flame was not very good not getting nearly as high and bright. Heat coming out not so good either. It seemed that whenever I put the setting on high the flame would actually decrease and toward the end of winter it started going out, not having any pellets in the grate when on high. This September I called in a technician. He basically diagnosed the entire problem over phone. Told me it needed a good in-depth cleaning. He came and cleaned behind the firewall, the exhaust, and the photo eye. He told me the photo eye was filthy and that was my problem. He charged me $100 and told me the stove would work like new. He also adjusted the air damper and told me to keep an eye on that setting and change it as per his instructions.
Well, the stove ran a little better but not on high setting. I usually get a pretty nice flame to start (on med setting) but soon it lowers and stays about 3 or 4 inches from bottom of grate. If I put it on high the flame soon begins to go down and actually remains lower than on medium. It went out once so far. NOBODY I have spoken to have an answer. I believe I need to adjust the auger trim, for whatever reasons just a little to increase the rate the auger drops the pellets. In my model there is no manual trim adjustment, it is apparently on the circuit board. Can I adjust this? Is this my issue? Have you ever heard of such a thing? How come nobody can give a straight answer?

Jerry

Ok to all the circuit/electronics pros here. Sorry, but as soon as I wrote this post I decided that after a year of frustration I needed to get into this myself. I found the problem and it was not electrical, but instead mechanical. Seems my auger was off the track or misaligned. I simply moved it back and forth up and down and it locked into place. Fired up the stove and it works like new. Amazing it took me a year to figure this out. Anyway, thanks for the opportunity. This board seems real busy and you guys help each other out a great deal. There should be more forums like this.
Jerry

For future reference, try this site **broken link removed** and search for other threads there. There are 13 including the control circuit board.

Does a "pellet stove" burn what goes into or what comes out of a pet rabbit??

Deer produce pellets too!

Sheriffjer,
I sent you a PM about the auger trim. Of course, after that I happen across this thread and discover you found the solution!! Oh well, keep the stove clean often... that's the best preventive measure that you can do for it. If you should ever purchase another pellet stove, look into Avalon, Vermont Castings or Jamestown brands. They use cast steel parts in areas where Whitfield uses stamped sheet steel. May also feature larger hoppers and burn pots for higher capacity. For example, the auger and burn pot in a Jamestown is cast compared to the stamped and welded steel auger in a Whitfield.

HiTech said:
Deer produce pellets too!
Does that mean if I can jump like a rabbit or dear then I would also produce pellets??
I'll try jumping around then I will tell you what I produce.

Guess what? It was nothing but Farts!

Their pellets are produced from the design of their intestinal tract along with a diet of greens and other vegetation that they consume. You can jump up and down all day long and all you're gonna output is an upset stomach, tired legs, and sausage link type poop!

sounds to me that your exhaust needs to be cleaned.make sure you are using a premium brand of pellets, bad pellets are the major causes of ash build up and low heat problems. not to mention the dirty lense on the photo eye from bad pellets.

Top Hat

Limit how much saw dust that is going into your hopper when putting in pellets. This will also cause major problems with the auger and the operation of the pellet stove/insert.

whitfield pellet stove optima 3

i have a lennex pelletstove that will not start. the service guy is telling me that the control board is bad even though all the lights and the power light still works. a new one is about $300. i was looking for some help to avoid paying the price of a new board.he was telling me that a compacator is bad in it. it doesn't seem right to me. it just stopped working all the sudden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back