Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which GPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can spare the budget, or stand in line, get the $399 dell laptop, or one of the ~$200 black-friday laptops. then add a $40-50 usb gps mouse + mapping software and you're set

plus, you get a 15" screen, and the ability to watch dvd movies when navigating gets tiresome.

yes, I 100% agree. a laptop does not fit nicely in a breast pocket or on a belt loop, nor would I want to ride a motorcycle or pedal bike with one.

most of the gps being pushed retail right now are aimed at driving cars. wrestling with a laptop while driving is not the smartest plan either since a bigger screen equals bigger distraction, not to mention the lack of touch screen.

on the plus side a bigger screen is easier on old eyes, and since it's just a windows computer, you're not tied to any one vendors idea of mapping software.

The earth isn't that big, there's humans EVERWHERE, not to mention the north star, and sun's directions. if you're good with a compass and a map, you don't even need to think about getting lost, besides if you ever do get lost in the woods just keep on walking in one direction, sooner or later you'll run into HUMAN civilization, trust me WE are EVERYWHERE.

Even on a small island like the UK, with one of the highest population densities in the world, you can still get lost and die in the woods and on the moors.

Walking in one direction isn't easy, unless you have a point of reference you go round in circles!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Even on a small island like the UK, with one of the highest population densities in the world, you can still get lost and die in the woods and on the moors.

Walking in one direction isn't easy, unless you have a point of reference you go round in circles!.
THat's why I always have my trusty IMU in my pocket.

Nigel Goodwin said:

well if you're stupid enough to get lost in the woods, and too stubborn to eat insects and animals, then maybe you deserve to die! Besides i've hiked up to 20 miles in one day, usually that's more than good enough to find civilization.

crusty said:
well if you're stupid enough to get lost in the woods, and too stubborn to eat insects and animals, then maybe you deserve to die! Besides i've hiked up to 20 miles in one day, usually that's more than good enough to find civilization.

20 miles in a circle isn't going to get you very far! :p

crusty said:

Or if you have a female companion with you, MAKE a civilization in the woods :p

In USA, You find civilization. In Soviet Russia, civilization Finds You!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back