Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What to make (bunch of steppers)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. i have never seen the resident evil movie, but it looks like i have it on my hard drive somewhere... i will watch if i get bored.

I found a cool hack on the net a while back (hackaday?) that featured some guy using pots strapped to his arm to control a robot arm with the exact movement of HIS arm. It was really neat.

Marks, it's called a 'Waldo' You just need to make a frame for your arm with a stable base and pots at the joints, key is the joints have to match the arm or you have to translate them to match the same points in the robot arm at least, can get kind of complex. but that's what the human brain is good for. It could easily be made out of wood or PVC. How much you want for the arm? =) I'd buy it for a sane price. Looks like a solid arm, the only thing it really 'needs' is a rotating base.

Last edited:
What I would do to make a mimicking arm, is to have a potentiometer connected to each moving joint, and send them into the A/D converters supported in most Microcontrollers (the 18F452 has 8 A/D channels). You then can take a value and manipulate it into a stepper controller, etc.

Sceadwian said:
How much you want for the arm? =) I'd buy it for a sane price.

I'll take offers... Maybe i will put it on ebay.

EDIT: i can post a few pictures of the one i have, along with the equipment/accessories for it.

Sceadwian said:
Looks like a solid arm, the only thing it really 'needs' is a rotating base

Rotating base? The arm can rotate ~350 degrees. It can't do a full 360; almost, though.

Last edited:
Nice, I didn't notice the base joint until you mentioned it.

I don't know that i will do with it yet, 3v0. Just assume you still have first dibs on it. If i put it on ebay, i will let you know. Maybe you will get it for less, then.

Your going to get around 3 dollars on ebay. Much better to give it to an educational establishment and bathe in the karma that comes with the gift.;)

just think how good that will feel. And the reputation you will get will put you in the realm of deca greens. You could even over take Eric!!

I'll start.:D

Mike.

:p

I am going to wait until september to see if my shop teacher want it. if not 3v0 has first bids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back