Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the CD changer connector called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubdh23

Sorry if i ask too many stupid questions. Anyway that being said, what is the connector at the back of the car radio called. The connector looks like a female mouse connector on your PC but it hooks to the Cd changer unit.
I was wondering if there is any regular cd players that have connectors capable of connecting to that slot. Instead of a 10 cd changer which is expensive.
thanks

Hello,

I think not all ot these connectors are the same, I suppose it depends on the firm, (i.e. Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer...) and then they use different ways for CD changer communication. Best think is you look specially for the connector of your radio car and find out the pins and functions, then you´ll know if is possible to adapt any other system to listen CD´s.
Personally I think there are not regular CD players you can connect there without doing modifications on it, even like that I think it would to hard to find the way!

Yes, they all use different connectors and protocols, manufacturers make adaptors to convert from one make to another (although they are quite expensive, having the special connectors and presumably a micro-controller inside).

My Blaupunkt car radio has a connection for a boot mounted multi-disc CD player, obviously it uses the Blaupunkt connector ad protocol. I was considering fitting a Sony CD in the boot, and checked the adaptors, they were about £50-60. In the event I never actually could be bothered, but I'm still considering it!.

The details of the protocols involved seems quite difficult to find, although a web search a couple of years ago did find a few details.

Pioneer uses something like a p-bus or m-bus. youn can buy a connector that has 2 RCA's on the other end. It was only $30-40.

jrz126 said:
Pioneer uses something like a p-bus or m-bus. youn can buy a connector that has 2 RCA's on the other end. It was only $30-40.

Everything is cheaper in the States :lol:

But, presumably, that wouldn't allow you to control the CD player from the radio controls?.

It may be cheaper, but it was made in china. :(

oh, you are looking to control a cd player using a different one?
I was talking about a cable to get RCA inputs to the cd player so you can run a playstation 2 or something and have the sound come out the car speakers.

I always thought that would be pretty cool to keep the stock CD and have it control a better CD player that was stashed in the trunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back