Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What frequencies can we detect?

BR-549

If I recall right, we can receive up to about several hundred GHz. Let's say 1000 GHz or 1 THz. With electronics.

Light is about 400 THz for red. 300-400 THz for IR optics.

Can we detect thru 1 to 300 THz? Can we detect thru those frequencies and tune like a radio? Or tuning an IR laser? No matter the process? Can we detect thru that 1 to 300 THz band spread?

Any body here know?

If I recall right, we can receive up to about several hundred GHz. Let's say 1000 GHz or 1 THz. With electronics.

Light is about 400 THz for red. 300-400 THz for IR optics.

Can we detect thru 1 to 300 THz? Can we detect thru those frequencies and tune like a radio? Or tuning an IR laser? No matter the process? Can we detect thru that 1 to 300 THz band spread?

Any body here know?

- 300 THz is 1000nm in near-IR and an approximate YAG laser of 1066nm.
- 1550nm lasers are used for Lidar (eye-safe lidar for automotive autonomous driving and driver assist systems).
- Thermal IR cameras detect radiated heat from objects in the mid-IR and spectroscopic analysis of molecular vibrations. 5000 (60THz) to 15000 nm (20THz)

OK, thanks. Let me ask you this, can one IR camera, one IR sensor detect that whole range of 1 to 300 THz? Or does it take a series of special sensors to do that? And does it take special conditions or setups, like ultra cold temps?

What would one need to detect 100 THz on their desktop?

Background. I had heard that we can detect from 10 to 300 THz with IR sensors, which was very surprising to me. How is the frequency determined?

And I had also heard that with electronics, we could detect up to several hundred GHz, lets call it 1000 GHz or 1 THz for now. And from 10 to 800 THz, the rest of the EM range, up to UV, was detected with IR and optics.

And that what was needed was a way to detect signals from 1 to 10 THz was the prize at this time.

Do you agree with that assessment?

OK, thanks. Let me ask you this, can one IR camera, one IR sensor detect that whole range of 1 to 300 THz? Or does it take a series of special sensors to do that? And does it take special conditions or setups, like ultra cold temps?

What would one need to detect 100 THz on their desktop?

Background. I had heard that we can detect from 10 to 300 THz with IR sensors, which was very surprising to me. How is the frequency determined?

And I had also heard that with electronics, we could detect up to several hundred GHz, lets call it 1000 GHz or 1 THz for now. And from 10 to 800 THz, the rest of the EM range, up to UV, was detected with IR and optics.

And that what was needed was a way to detect signals from 1 to 10 THz was the prize at this time.

Do you agree with that assessment?
I'd have to ask, why is this wavelength range interesting? It is light, line-of-sight. Suitable for telescopes. The Webb telescope can "see" warm to yellow-hot 600nm (300THz) to 28500nm (10THz) just under boiling water. It's a known technology.

The Herschel telescope can see 5THz (60 micrometers) to 0.6THz (500 micrometers). This is a few hundred °C down to dry-ice temps or colder. Again, known technology.

Thank you. The issue has been resolved. I was asking what our capabilities were at this time, not necessarily how to do it. Just if it could be done. And most of the misunderstanding came from using the same terms, in different fields of study.

This was about the Big Bang, the background radiation, and the accelerating expansion of space.

And trying to understand it. The term prize was used as an objective, not a reward.

And evidently, being able to tune from 1 to 10 THz would help resolve some of these theoretical issues. It has to do with the first few milliseconds after the Big Bang.

I was trying to follow along.....and now I do understand what was said.

Thank you for your assistance. Some times us old folks have trouble keeping up.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back