Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what does this mean

Status
Not open for further replies.
audioguru said:

Since it has a FET transistor inside, it needs a 10k resistor to power it (2.2k is too low unless the battery is 3V) and the resistor is its load. Since its output level is very low and its impedance is high, shielded audio cable must be used to connect to it.

wat does this mean

Last edited:
audioguru said:
A 2-wire electret microphone has two pins. One is connected to its metal case and is the ground and the other is its output.
Since it has a FET transistor inside, it needs a 10k resistor to power it (2.2k is too low unless the battery is 3V) and the resistor is its load. Since its output level is very low and its impedance is high, shielded audio cable must be used to connect to it.

it came as a mic that was meant to plug into a 1/8 jack
here is a link to it https://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102927&cp=2032057.2032187.2032192&pg=3&parentPage=family

A shielded audio cable has an insulated signal wire down the center and many strands of wire around it which shield it from interference. The many strands of wire sometimes are braided and are connected to the circuit's ground. Some shielded cables use foil or metalized plastic film as the shield. If shielded cables are not used for low level microphones, then ordinary unshielded cable picks up mains hum as interference.

You can use your battery-powered microphone with the LM386 circuit if you remove the 2.2k or 10k resistor that would power and load an ordinary electret microphone.

audioguru said:
A shielded audio cable has an insulated signal wire down the center and many strands of wire around it which shield it from interference. The many strands of wire sometimes are braided and are connected to the circuit's ground. Some shielded cables use foil or metalized plastic film as the shield. If shielded cables are not used for low level microphones, then ordinary unshielded cable picks up mains hum as interference.

You can use your battery-powered microphone with the LM386 circuit if you remove the 2.2k or 10k resistor that would power and load an ordinary electret microphone.

so ur are sayin if i reconnect that switch that says on/off to the mic and put a batt in it and remov the resistor it'll work

I think you should put your microphone together with its switch and battery. By itself, it might have 3-wires or it might have a resistor built-in. Then the amplifier circuit desn't need the 2.2k or 10k resistor to power it.

audioguru said:
I think you should put your microphone together with its switch and battery. By itself, it might have 3-wires or it might have a resistor built-in. Then the amplifier circuit desn't need the 2.2k or 10k resistor to power it.

i looked inside and it just has 1 non insulated stranded wire wrapped around one insulated stranded wire that is wrapped around a thread like thing

That'll do fine, connect the uninsulated wire to 0V and the insulated wire to the input.

Hero999 said:
That'll do fine, connect the uninsulated wire to 0V and the insulated wire to the input.
however i opened up the on off switch and i saw a disc cap and a resistor in it that was brown red red gold is it still ok

Yes, that's the resistor for powering the microphone and the disc capacitor is probably for DC blocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back