Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using Thingspeak for multiple devices

Vizier87

Hi guys,

I've been designing a door lock system which sends GET requests using the ESP8266 for writing and reading via the API from Thingspeak. I'm planning on using a single channel to cater for a few door locks.

Currently it seems manageable.

My concern is that, let's say the number of devices are a lot (let's say they get to more than a 100), then this would probably mean the IoT device would have to make "read" requests up to a few fields, since there might be more than a few people using their door locks at a time.

I'm thinking in the long run, maybe each door lock ought to have it's own channel? Is this usually the practice?

And if this is the case, what are other cheaper middleware options should I explore?

Thanks!

You could do what I do, ignore ThingsSpeak and similar services and simply run your own system on a webserver, you may already have your own domain name which also provides server space?. Then you write the control software on the server, using PHP and MySql, and call a PHP script with GET.

A big advantage is that the remote part can be kept simple, and the PHP scripts can do all the clever work - so you can easily upgrade the system by simply altering the PHP/MySql on your server.

You could do what I do, ignore ThingsSpeak and similar services and simply run your own system on a webserver, you may already have your own domain name which also provides server space?. Then you write the control software on the server, using PHP and MySql, and call a PHP script with GET.

A big advantage is that the remote part can be kept simple, and the PHP scripts can do all the clever work - so you can easily upgrade the system by simply altering the PHP/MySql on your server.
Yeah we do have our own domain. Yeah makes sense. I was wondering why Thingspeak was a thing though...

Right now exploring those options. Thanks!

My concern is that, let's say the number of devices are a lot (let's say they get to more than a 100), then this would probably mean the IoT device would have to make "read" requests up to a few fields, since there might be more than a few people using their door locks at a time.

What goal do you have for the max latency for a lock to be serviced ?

Regards, Dana.

What goal do you have for the max latency for a lock to be serviced ?

Regards, Dana.
Hi Dana. Sorry for the late reply.

Well I digressed I guess from the original narrative. The client wanted a lightning response so I got to just making the strings all sit in the EEPROM. So the APIs will have to be designed in a way where the device is continually sending update requests to the server, maybe every minute or so.

In terms of logging the users' access to the door, a delayed (or maybe a complete miss) of the log is acceptable in conditions where the internet may be unstable. But we're still working it all out.

Vizier87

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back