Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ua79

Status
Not open for further replies.

desperadogear

what is the expansion of OA in OA79 diode? AM detector diode.. and can we use an ordinary diode in its place for AM detection ? if not why?

Last edited:
i am extremely sorry it is the AM detector diode. It should be OA79.. i was asked this question when i attended an interview for a job. i dint hear properly. pls tell me whats its expansion

The OA79 is a germanium diode, the forward drop is about 0.35 volts. If you mean silicon diode as "ordinary diode", the forward drop of silicon is 0.5 volts, so it will not work as well as a detector.

thanks russlk

i got the reason why ordinary diode cant be used ... is there any expansion for notation OA??

desperadogear said:
i got the reason why ordinary diode cant be used ... is there any expansion for notation OA??

It's from a VERY, VERY old coding system, that was later replaced by the 'Pre-Electron' system.

'O' means a semiconductor device.

'A' means a diode.

Another option is 'C' for a transistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back